7.62x54r

unfunnyryan

Spontaneously bought a mosin nagant so that I can have a big bullet in a cheap gun. Except I have no ammo.

I don't want nice ammo, just cheap surplus shit. Cheaper = better. Is there any place in columbus, or should I order the 500 case online (for as much as I paid for the gun)

Vances stocks it. 100 rounds for 30 bucks

Barnes Guns in Lancaster has a lot of surplus 7.62x54 but I can't remember the price.

Probably wont be near Lancaster for a while but thanks for the suggestion. Vances will work for me, cost isn't too much, especially if I charge my friends to shoot.

Those replacement buttplates do help, but you may want to re-evaluate how and where you are tucking that rifle to your shoulder. A lot of people who are used to AR platforms tend to not use the entire buttplate, just the bottom half...that's fine for .223/5.56 or even .308/7.62x51 in a semi-auto but you need as much contact area as possible with a full-size round in a bolt-action. AND they tend to position the butt closer to the neck, with a Mosin you need to be out over the muscle. You do have to lean your head more to get a cheek weld, but it won't hurt as much.

Update: Holy shit this gun is fun. Left me with some pretty damn big bruises, but is nothing in comparison to the cinder blocks being turned into grenades by the full-steel rounds.

Mosin: 1

Me: 0

You sure you were holding it correctly? I usually put 250+ rounds per range outing through mine, and never have bruises.