Any Duramax Diesel Guys

John Bruh

I'm going to join the D-max board but figured id make the post here.

I'm considering building a duramax for a swap. Which motor is the best to make the most power and the most reliable? LB7, LLY, LBZ or LMM?

I've also heard of d-max guys running 4l80E's in swap cars. Can a 4l80 really with stand up to 1500ft/lb if its built?

In a notch??

yes!

I thought about the idea, because the more i thought about it a cobra motor swap would be sweet but more and more people are doing it. And I love duramax trucks. I sell Diesel's I could get a sponsorship and promote it. I got online and on a whim i typed in duramax mustang and pulled up a guy that did it to a 94. But i want to do things a little differently. He's in the 9's on a single 71mm charger. runs 800hp and gets 35mpg! FUCKING SWEET in my book!

Lb7 best motor or lly stay with allison

exactly what i've been reading.

Lb7 for the simple fact that with new injectors its solid. And Fix the overheating issue with the LLY ($30 fix) then your good to go.

Everyone doesn't like the 6spd from what ive read at higher hp levels. I'm still trying to do research on this 4l80e that can handle so much torque.

I remember seeing this on ls1tech a while back, a guy in OH put one in his 94 Z28. Turned out really nice.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1112647-diesel-camaro.html

just read the article. Used a 6.5L. Would of been better off using a ls1 instead of that paper weight.

Join Duramaxdiesels.com, I'm a mod there and the board is just for high performance duramax's, none of the "what wiper blades are best" BS on some of the other boards. There is also a section just for transplants.

There was a duramax powered mustang at the Texas mile this year with a 4l80e behind it. One of the builders is also a mod on that site. LB7, LLY are both good, LLY would be easier to change injectors if you ever wanted to. I have an LLY and it has never overheated or even gotten close, I think that overheat thing is mostly interent BS.

For a swap into a car, I'd go LBZ. It has a bit stronger bottom end and the big advantage is it's capable of much higher rpm than the earlier models. LB7/LLY injectors start to "skip" above 4200 rpm because of the low processing power of the injector controller. The LBZ has a much better ECM and does away with the injector controller all together. It is capable of 5500+ rpm.

Join Duramaxdiesels.com, I'm a mod there and the board is just for high performance duramax's, none of the "what wiper blades are best" BS on some of the other boards. There is also a section just for transplants.

There was a duramax powered mustang at the Texas mile this year with a 4l80e behind it. One of the builders is also a mod on that site. LB7, LLY are both good, LLY would be easier to change injectors if you ever wanted to. I have an LLY and it has never overheated or even gotten close, I think that overheat thing is mostly interent BS.

For a swap into a car, I'd go LBZ. It has a bit stronger bottom end and the big advantage is it's capable of much higher rpm than the earlier models. LB7/LLY injectors start to "skip" above 4200 rpm because of the low processing power of the injector controller. The LBZ has a much better ECM and does away with the injector controller all together. It is capable of 5500+ rpm.

The LBZ was my inital though because of the higer rpm and the highest stock hp motor. But from what i've been reading they have issues with cracking pistons. Is this more internet BS like the LLY overheating? How much power would it take to crack one of those pistions?

If you are shooting for 600/1100 it wouldn't be a problem on a stock long block LBZ. You could get some miles out of that setup if it's properly tuned. Bent rods usually happen around 1300+ lb/ft and the cracked pistons are more an issue of excessive heat than anything else. A good turbo setup and proper cool down technique will go a long way to saving the pistons.

I know there are a lot of LBZ's putting down 600 without opening up the engine, and they aren't having any problems with the pistons. I think when the LBZ came out, guys thought they could get away with a lot more because it was supposed to be so much stronger, but in reality it's on marginally stronger. But the huge advantage is in the tuning. LBZ's will sing at 5000+ rpm all day long. It's really hard to get the older models to sustain those types of rpm. I'm working with a guy in Cincy that has an LB7 pulling truck and it's a challenge to get it running well above 4300 rpm even with huge injectors.