Plywood vs OSB

Twistedrx7

has anyone used DITRA ? right now i am trying to figure out what type of second flooring i need to put down. Schluter said they will guarantee OSB, but everything says to use plywood that i have read online.

I went to lowes and could only find RTD sheathing. is there a better place to get plywood at all? basically doing this;

23/32 subfloor

11/32 or 3/8 second sub floor

thinet

ditra

thinset

natural stone

whats down now? you can do it pretty much any way you want to. my house has 2 sheets of plywood and my parents house has plywood with osb on top. either way it needs glued and screwed together and glued to the joist. screws>nails since they won't back out and make the floor squeak.

on both accounts i put down 1/4" cement board then thin set and tile.

whats down now? you can do it pretty much any way you want to. my house has 2 sheets of plywood and my parents house has plywood with osb on top. either way it needs glued and screwed together and glued to the joist. screws>nails since they won't back out and make the floor squeak.

on both accounts i put down 1/4" cement board then thin set and tile.

not really an option to put down 3/8 plywood and 1/4 cemet board along with 1/2 tile. that would be way too much. this is in a bathroom. Only reason i am putting anything down is just because with natural stone it calls for atleast an inch and a quarter including the org sub floor. then the DITRA.

I have used the Ditra system before, but it was a solution to an area that had the possibility of having vibration issues. It sounds like your doing it in a house? Why bother with it. Typically the only thing a house needs from shluter is the shluter strip. Hell they even admit their product is a high tech attempt to re-invent something that already exists and works fine.

I have used the Ditra system before, but it was a solution to an area that had the possibility of having vibration issues. It sounds like your doing it in a house? Why bother with it. Typically the only thing a house needs from shluter is the shluter strip. Hell they even admit their product is a high tech attempt to re-invent something that already exists and works fine.

I overdo things a lot and over engineer just for that one day when zombies come and attack.

Since i bought it, any ideas on plywood.

Sutherlands has a decent selection of plywood. I am surprised they are guaranteeing osb. Osb loses its waterproof quality once cuts are made to its surface.

Last check, menards had a real nice selection of hard woods, I assume they may have plywood as well but not sure. I would check sutherlands.

Sounds like you may be looking for a cdx stamping. yeah check with sutherlands i know they carry

Plywood - Sheathing

Plywood - Sanded

Plywood - Hardwood

OSD(otherwise known as OSB) has better waterproofing capabilities due to its chemical makeup.

CDX rating is an indoor rating. Thats probably why they guarantee OSB.

RTD is actually better than cdx, due to the inproved glue quality when putting it together. All the wood i have found is all knots. So im looking for b or a grade. probably going to find some good hardwood plywood. the sheathing looks like crap, sanded wont provide a good stick.

Then i just need to find some mahagony to build some cabinets

RTD is actually better than cdx, due to the inproved glue quality when putting it together. All the wood i have found is all knots. So im looking for b or a grade. probably going to find some good hardwood plywood. the sheathing looks like crap, sanded wont provide a good stick.

Then i just need to find some mahagony to build some cabinets

Try Linworth Lumber, my uncle get's most of his big stuff (i.e. plywood for non-finish surfaces, studs).