Garage Heater

wagner

My family is thinking of getting my dad a garage heater as a suprise early christmas gift. I was leaning toward a torpedo k1 style heater.

What are some of the units used by the members of CR? How many BTUs should I be looking at? This is for a space about the size of a 3 car garage. It does not need to make it the tropics, but warm enough he can get "Monzilla" ready for the track next year.

Pleas try to keep this thread useful...

I have a ventless propane wall heater that works very nice. It has 3 burner settings, radiant heat no blower it heats up my 2 car on single burner when its in the 20-30 degree temp just fine and its very safe to leave on all the time. You would have to plum it into your natual gas source or propane.

i have a hot dawg unit in our 3 car garage which is completely insulated. not sure how many btu's but it is obviously a vented gas unit--this is the first winter we'll have it working. in my big shop i have a modine unit, that i think is 100k btu, but i'm not sure. its huge and has no problem heating the 36' by 52' garage to 70 plus in the dead of winter here in wisconsin without breaking a sweat

I have a wood stove that I use most of the time. I also have two propaine heaters, one is the single sunflower radiant type that just attaches to the 5 gal bottle. It works good for spot heating if I am only doing some bench work on a short term basis. The torpedo works great for heating the concrete floor. I tip the heater on its nose and direct all the heat on the concrete under the car. It doesnt matter if it is 80 in the shop, if your laying on the floor you will be cold without heating the concrete.

i use a salamander/torpedo style in a 3 car garage and it works great.. if its super cold or you've just got out there just point it towards you about 10 feet away.. you'll be in a tshirt when its 10* outside. its the best purchase i've made for the garage, next to my big ass air compressor

i have a 150k btu torpedo heater.. heats my 2 1/2 car garage to like 80+ degrees in the dead of winter in 10 min.

i also have a regular round kerosene heater i think its like 20k btu... so after its 80 in there i kick the torpedo off and leave that one running

I'm still trying to find someone who can repair a 50,000 BTU Torpedo :(. Anyone have any ideas?

Call Sunbelt Rentals they might be able to do it. If they can't, they might be able to let you know who can.

Thank you all for the information on this subject. Seems the torpedo might be the way I go just to make easy on him.

Very interested in this thread...

How much fuel do these heaters consume? I would only need it for a few days a month, but I would probably get more repairs done in the wintertime if I had one...

Also, can you hot-water-bucket wash their car in the wintertime and use a heated garage to dry it without the water freezing on the car? Has anyone done it before?

I bought this heater for my dad 2 years ago. Works great in a 40x24 garage. Won't allow you to wear shorts in February, but it knocks the chill out of the air.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_245179-88644-RMC-LPC80L_0__?productId=3261953&Ntt=propane+heater&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FVa%3Dtrue%26Ntt%3Dpropane%2Bheater

I personally just use a torpedo heater if I ever need heat. I usually just bundle up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Heating-Venting-Cooling-Heaters-Portable-Heaters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqdZapxy/R-202300873/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Anybody have experience with this brand? I really could not find any reviews on it.

you could probably do a vented gas unit for less than $1500 and be completely done with any b.s. associated with a torpedo heater. turn it on, turn it off--whatever you want. both of mine are set up with a thermostat to keep a constant temp in the winter---my shop because i don't want my cars to get cold. my attached garage because we have bedrooms above the garage

Very interested in this thread...

How much fuel do these heaters consume? I would only need it for a few days a month, but I would probably get more repairs done in the wintertime if I had one...

Also, can you hot-water-bucket wash their car in the wintertime and use a heated garage to dry it without the water freezing on the car? Has anyone done it before?

You could. The problem would be the ground being heated enough to wash.

I have a detached apartment garage (so no insulation or common heated wall), and Im slowly trying to come up with a potential plan to get some heat for the winter.

Ive got a 18v NOMAD power washer thing that is AWESOME for washing anywhere (even a garage), and could use a propane heater im sure (weak electicity), but the issue is catching all the water before it freezes the bottom of the garage door....im leaning towards plastic sheeting lol. Ill park on a baby pool ;)