a bit of a challenge; where was this sampled from?

Science Abuse

Doc, do you have a reference you can point me at, youtube or something? It sounds SIMILAR, but I'm not hearing a particular match, do you have a specific point in the symphony in mind?

To be honest, I was working through my Wagner, going "Damnit I KNOW I've heard this before, it's from that damn bombastic German composer"....wrong damn bombastic German composer?

I keed, I keed...Beethoven was an awesome composer, his 9th and 5th Symphonies are BEYOND masterful...there are layers and layers of beauty happening in "Ode to Joy" that boggle the mind.

Doc, do you have a reference you can point me at, youtube or something? It sounds SIMILAR, but I'm not hearing a particular match, do you have a specific point in the symphony in mind?

It's there, you have to remember that each performance is unique unto itself, so while the version I've had since (I think) high school, a recording of Arturo Toscanini leading the NBC Symphony, has that theme less than 30 seconds in, and again at 5:50 (just before the operatics start), the version Doc's got may be arranged differently and have different time references. Then there's also the issue of "directly lifting" versus "borrowing." If you want to get into the semantics of that, see David Bowie vs. Vanilla Ice ;)

Ever so slightly older than me, it is from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, 4th Movement.

So I've had a bit of Mead tonight, and accidentally gave you negative rep instead of positive. My apologies!

4:10, the opening melody is certainly there. I've been through the entire performance up to this point and will finish, alongside a book. The fidelity sucks, if only they had better recording equipment in '48.

So I've had a bit of Mead tonight, and accidentally gave you negative rep instead of positive. My apologies!

It's okay. I was bound to eventually get some neg rep (never had any until now ... though I've deserved it more than a few times). ;)

Looking at the other posts, I guess you could debate whether or not it's a direct sampling. But considering how renowned the symphony and this particular movement are, and considering what a prominent place this phrase occupies within the movement, I think KMFDM would have to admit it's more than just reminiscent of Ludwig; it directly invokes him. I'm not aware if they've ever been asked about it, but it would be interesting to see what they said.

And what beautiful lyrics (some from Schiller's poem, some added by Beethoven):

Joy, beautiful spark of divinity

Daughter of Elysium,

We enter, drunk with fire,

Into your sanctuary, heavenly daughter!

Your magic reunites

What custom strictly divided.

All men become brothers,

Where your gentle wing rests.

To be a friend's friend,

Whoever has won a devoted wife,

Join in our jubilation!