LSx Short Blocks - Who would you trust in Ohio?

Billiumss

Hi guys,

There's a chance I might be upgrading to a 416 LS3 short block this winter for my 2001 Camaro SS M6.

As of right now my plans are to get a LS3 416 short block, 242 - 246 114 or 116 lsa cam, reuse my ported LS1 heads, and LS6 intake so I can get it up and running and make it somewhat affordable. Probably after a year or 2, I'll upgrade the heads and intake to really maximize my combo, probably with AFR heads and a 92 or 102 FAST intake.

A few people on here that really know who I am and have seen my car, knows I'm kinda anal when it comes to my car. I will be installing this in my garage. I have the tools and knowledge to do it myself along with a few friends to lend a hand.

Does anyone know of a good shop in Ohio that has a lot of experience with LS1 engines and stand behind their products and work without balking at the ideas of putting some kind of warranty in writing? I would rather drive to the shop and pick it up then pay for S&H, that way I can meet the people that built it.

When it comes to my car, I have trust issues and if I'm going to drop over $5,000 on a short block I want the best with a reasonable price and somekind of workmanship warranty.

I know IPS does a ton of LSx work and I hope/expect them to chime in and offer their opinion on who they trust.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Mike Rush at M&M heads here in Delaware is good at building almost any motor. Many people on here will stand by his work too.

This, fo' sho'.

Second, maybe Fast Racing out on the East Side.

I'm not sure how much specifically LSX stuff either of them build but they both seem to do a pretty diverse mix and have a good rep.

ERL is in a league of there own and is now doing un-sleeved replacement short blocks like you are looking for. They would easily be within driving distance. Call Shawn and talk to him. There core prices are a little high but you can provide the bare block to them (as I did) with no penalty. I may be able to get you a 5% discount over published prices.

http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-stock-sleeve-short-blocks

Livernois, hands down. (Not in Ohio but worth every penny)

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

They built the motor in my car and Josh's. I would recommend using them, neither Josh or myself have had any issues.

Sam ordered a motor from Scoggin - Dickey and it had blow by issues from day one. His motor would fill the catch can every time he sprayed the car.

ERL is in a league of there own and is now doing un-sleeved replacement short blocks like you are looking for. They would easily be within driving distance. Call Shawn and talk to him. There core prices are a little high but you can provide the bare block to them (as I did) with no penalty. I may be able to get you a 5% discount over published prices.

http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-stock-sleeve-short-blocks

I believe they built the motors for the Ohio boy's cars.

Call Todd Quinn at Platinum Engine Designs. Guy builds nasty LS motors. His motors have held the "stock" LS1 world records several times. He used to build motors for Larry Morgans (Pro Stock racer) race team/rental program. Does very amazing work!

Todd Quinn

Platinum Engine Designs

740-796-6215

8485 Bethel Rd

Norwich, Oh

They built the motor in my car and Josh's. I would recommend using them, neither Josh or myself have had any issues.

Sam ordered a motor from Scoggin - Dickey and it had blow by issues from day one. His motor would fill the catch can every time he sprayed the car.

The owner drove the car at Norwalk that went 3.78 in the 1/8th on 10.5's

Livernois builds some great stuff but I believe for what Bill is looking for ERL is a better match. They build the blocks for all three of the Ohio boys but Kurt Urban assembles the blocks for two of the three, ERL assembles turleys engines. If we were talking about a higher performance build (and higher costs) I would recomend Kurt Urban (did my engine) over Livernois.

I wouldnt piss on anything outfits like scoggin-DICKy or texas speed sold.

The wiesco piston-ring pack that ERL uses is what is in my car today. I have never had an engine that had less blow-by

All just my opinion though ;)

LME engines does all Scoggin Dickeys engine work, they just sell parts.

We have a direct WD account with ERL as well, they have been getting more into the mail order short block market especailly in the GM market. We have been happy using their services in the past and present.

How ever Livernois is our builder of choice, I know for a fact they have some of the most state of the art equipment in the market, as well as a former mcclaren engineer heading their engine department. I would rival them with any one in the business, Millen and company have built some motors!

Kurt Urban is also in a league of his own.

I would feel more then comfortable with any of them.

Livernois, hands down. (Not in Ohio but worth every penny)

thats who IPS sends there stuff to.

i would stay away from Fast Racing. they built my very first engine and used stock type head gaskets from engine rebuilders supply and said it was good for 300 shot of n2o. needless to say it blew both gaskets with a 75 shot. when i tore it down i found stripped head bolt holes in the block.

Kurt Urban screwed Mike and I when we had him do work on our Vettes so I would say hell no to him. We drove all the way to Detroit and spent a bunch of money only to return and have our stuff running like crap. Call me if you want details.

Great info guys thanks a bunch! I'm definiatly going to do my homework and "interview" them to see if they can meet my needs. I'll be in touch with some of you to get your opinion as well.

If things go as planned, I will be making my purchase this coming January 2011.

While using my current heads and LS6 Intake, I hope to make at least 480 RWHP and 480 RWTQ. It's hard to say how my STG 2 Absolute Speed heads will perform on a stroker but it will only be for a short while.