Theft: catalytic converter

Craig

Not sure where to put this, but on the night or Sept 30 / Oct 1 the catalytic converter was stolen off of my Jeep. There was one other lady in my apartment complex that had hers stolen as well. there may have been others, that have just not mentioned it to the rental office.

Just be on the lookout. Not fun to try to go to work with the exhaust dragging the ground due to some ass hat with a sawzall.

Not sure where to put this, but on the night or Sept 30 / Oct 1 the catalytic converter was stolen off of my Jeep. There was one other lady in my apartment complex that had hers stolen as well. there may have been others, that have just not mentioned it to the rental office.

Just be on the lookout. Not fun to try to go to work with the exhaust dragging the ground due to some ass hat with a sawzall.

Seriously man ?

WTF :o

How would you NOT hear a SawzAll in the middle of the night?

KillJoy

when i lived on campus, e11th and indianola, there was a shoot out in our back parking lot that i didn't hear.... but i might have been sleeping with my shoes on.

contrarily i wake up every time the dog moves in my room these days

How would you NOT hear a SawzAll in the middle of the night?

KillJoy

They wrap a towel around the cat and one guy pulls down on it while the other makes the cut. It pulls the exhaust down against the rubber isolators in the hangers, and stops the cat itself from resonating. It's not as loud as you'd think anyway, especially if there are cars on both sides.

You would be suprised how quickly a thief can get a cat cut out of a car and walk away with it. I watched a video once that showed a guy who was able to get out of his car in a busy parking lot, crawl under a suv, hack the cat off, get back in his car within 45 seconds without being noticed.

They wrap a towel around the cat and one guy pulls down on it while the other makes the cut. It pulls the exhaust down against the rubber isolators in the hangers, and stops the cat itself from resonating. It's not as loud as you'd think anyway, especially if there are cars on both sides.

:wtf:

Talk about speaking from experience!

:D

KillJoy

I have been talking myself out of modifying the jeep for years. I was really just wanting to keep this as a reliable daily. But yes, I will likely wind up buying a high flow cat and cat back to replace this, depending on what the ins. co. says. I called the jeep dealership and with how the pipe is laid out and with the two pre cats that part is a $1637 part, not including labor. I doubt the ins. will be willing to go oem though, and if not it would not be worth a claim.

Id get this guy to find you a replacement on the cheap.

I have been talking myself out of modifying the jeep for years. I was really just wanting to keep this as a reliable daily. But yes, I will likely wind up buying a high flow cat and cat back to replace this, depending on what the ins. co. says. I called the jeep dealership and with how the pipe is laid out and with the two pre cats that part is a $1637 part, not including labor. I doubt the ins. will be willing to go oem though, and if not it would not be worth a claim.

Don't let them get you a non-OEM cat. I could go into way more detail then you'd ever care to hear, but they are not even comparable to OEM. It won't last as long, it won't work as well.

Someone stole mine off the miata on campus which is nuts cause it takes two people to jack up my car to get to it. one to lift it up and the other to slide the jack under lol but never the less they stole it but tricks on those F**kers it had been hollowed out and they just got a shell of useless metal lol so it wasn't a complete loss and I got a giggle when they got caught cause of a video cam. getting there license plate on there suv

Are the laws here different? I know they changed it in Indiana because of all the theft. Out there you have to have the vehicle registration or title, so they can document it.

As far as i know you just have to give them your id and a plate number from wich it came from.. And you could only sell 1 per month or something like that. Then again I am sure there are some shady salvage places that will take them no matter what

As far as i know you just have to give them your id and a plate number from wich it came from.. And you could only sell 1 per month or something like that. Then again I am sure there are some shady salvage places that will take them no matter what

We take 4-5 to the yard every couple of months when we replace them at the shop. No ID/plate required at research alloy. On the plus side Joe (the owner) knows me, but still.

There is also a guy that comes around to the shop everyonce and awhile and will buy them off us.

Just my experience