Lever guns

Scotty2Hotty

I guess they're a love or hate kind of thing with some. Personally, I really do love my Marlin 336 in .30-30. With the advent of automatics and bolt guns, the lever action seems to almost have been swept under the rug as a relic of the past. Doing some random searching (on top of being bored and having a day off) I thought about my Marlin I have sitting in the closet. I just so happened to remember Grizzly Custom Guns does a few things with lever rifles. Boy did I fall in love again with lever guns:

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/pagephotos/lever_1895_4570_02.jpg

I almost want to purchase the .45-70 1895 Guide gun for the make over, but I'm really thinking I may send my 336 in for a make over. Here's the list:

•Shorten and re-crown barrel at 16.5"

•Shorten magazine tube if required

•Custom LPA ghost ring sight system with single post front sight

•Premium quality dovetail fill to replace factory rear sight

•Custom enlarged lever loop

•Smooth all ports, inside and out

•Modify loading gate for easier loading & unloading

•Extensive action smoothing

•Stainless steel follower

•Trigger job with DRC trigger

•Bobbed hammer

•Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad

•Custom leather butt-cuff ammunition carrier

•Custom padded "Slimline" leather sling

•Complete action dehorning

•Satin matte metal prep and bluing

All said work is around $1,300, but when you boil it down, I think it'll turn into one of my favorite rifles, not to mention a SHTF option aswell. Anyone else here into lever rifles or am I just on my own?

I'll agree that lever guns are fun to give a workout, makes you feel like a cowboy especially with a single-action on your hip. That's a pretty nice looking custom gun, just needs a scabbard and you're all set.

Looove me some lever actions.

I've got a Marlin 39a .22, which is pretty much the golden standard of .22 levers. I believe its the longest running production gun in the world. I've got my my 'list', a Marlin 1895sbl (45/70), and a .410xlr (410).

My dad, on the other hand, puts me to shame. He's got a Henry .22LR, .22mag, .17hmr, Marlin 336c (30-30), 444 (.444marlin), and a 308mxlr (.308marlin), and is getting ready to buy an 1895gbl (45/70).

As with just about everything I own, I tore it (39a) completely apart and fluffed, puffed, and polished everything I could on the inside. Mine runs slick as can be now.

I say go for it.

Looove me some lever actions.

I've got a Marlin 39a .22, which is pretty much the golden standard of .22 levers. I believe its the longest running production gun in the world. I've got my my 'list', a Marlin 1895sbl (45/70), and a .410xlr (410).

My dad, on the other hand, puts me to shame. He's got a Henry .22LR, .22mag, .17hmr, Marlin 336c (30-30), 444 (.444marlin), and a 308mxlr (.308marlin), and is getting ready to buy an 1895gbl (45/70).

As with just about everything I own, I tore it (39a) completely apart and fluffed, puffed, and polished everything I could on the inside. Mine runs slick as can be now.

I say go for it.

I almost want to spring for the re-chambering to .45-70 or .450 Marlin, but I like .30-30. It's a pretty good cartridge for most game and packs a respectable punch. I believe they shorten the mag tube down to 5 rounds, but that 16.5" barrel is mighty handy out in the woods. I was about to just slap a Konus Pro scope on and call it a day, but I'd deffinately rather have the iron sights and a shorter profile like the 1895 Guide Gun. I was in a debate on if I wanted to go with the hard chrome look, but the bluing along with the wood looks great!

also when shooting w friends with a lever gun, they are like whats that? a pellet gun? and commence to laugh. thats when you shut them up.

you walk up to the range like a pimp, chamber a round, pull the trigger, and it goes "mothafuckinBOOM!

then they realize what a mans gun it is.

Id like to try it sometime but DAMN 1300 for a rifle?! Do they sell cheap ones in a smaller caliber? like a .22 or 9mm some sort of plinker rifle?

Grizzly's "Brush Hawg" conversion to your Marlin lever rifle is about $1,300. All the things I listed above, are what is done to the rifle. You can buy a lever action rifle for a lot cheaper than $1,300 by all means. There's tons out there chambered in everything from .22, to common handgun rounds like .357 or .44, to some pretty large calibers to include .45-70 and upward. I never really thought about the Winchester 336 in my closet up until I looked at Grizzly Custom's page. I'm deffinately sending my rifle out to them for the "conversion" so to speak.