Issue with my Raptor

Nitrousbird

I get my Raptor out, after not running it in months (due to being wrecked in the front slightly and needing repair).

Change oil/filter, clean the air filter, and get the damage repaired (all wheel/front suspension stuff).

Quad runs perfect first day. Next day is running perfect, then all of a sudden won't run at higher RPM's, and this is the status it has been ever since.

Symptoms:

- Starts perfectly fine.

- Idles fine

- At low throttle, under 3500-4000 RPM (have a tach), runs perfectly

- Hard throttle and/or higher RPM's, no power at all, backfires badly, shoots flames out the exhaust, can smell fuel.

Due to being able to smell fuel after trying to run it hard, and seeing fireballs, I would think this is ignition related. Things tried:

- New spark plug

- New coil pack (which also includes the plug wire)

- New CDI (ignition control unit)

- New fuel - used the same fuel in my wife's quad, and it runs perfectly on it.

Nothing has made any difference at all. I did the CDI after reading threads online about simlar issues (doesn't seem all that common). Checked to make sure it wasn't the reverse rev limiter, and testing that was different than the symptoms I am having.

At this point, I need suggestions. I will likely need to do some more wire tracing, and test some other items to find the problem, but I was looking for starter ideas before I tear this damn thing apart. Service manual was of no use. :(

bored at work researching the issue I found some things to check.

test the coil pack with a known good one New doesn't always mean good.

pilot jet could be plugged.

the accelerator pump boot could be off or not working.

ground for the reverse lever need to be cleaned

choke could be sticking

bored at work researching the issue I found some things to check.

test the coil pack with a known good one New doesn't always mean good.

pilot jet could be plugged.

the accelerator pump boot could be off or not working.

ground for the reverse lever need to be cleaned

choke could be sticking

1. Coil pack from a running Raptor...guess I shouldn't have said new, rather new to me. Check

2. Will have to tear apart for that one.

3. Same as above

4. Already cleaned the reverse wiring, as we initially thought that was the issue

5. Doesn't seem to be that way, as the choke is functioning like it normally did, and you can tell when the choke is on idling very easily. Also, I've hit the choke before warmed up (by accident) at higher RPM and this symptom did not occur.

Dont know anything about quads. However it it runs great at low throttle but falls on its face at full throttle, fuel supply sounds suspicious. That is of course timing, etc. is cool. Which sounds like it is. My man Matt who runs my parts counter at work has one of these, and a few other kind too. He just recently experienced a similar problem w/his after taking carbs apart and putting back together (actually he paid someone to). Finally he took them apart using factory manual and found some of the jets were installed wrong.

You didnt says anything about disassembly, I realize this, but it seems like the fuel delivery system is drownin itself out somehow.

Basically, I agree w/the others. Sounds like fuel issue. I'll ask Matt tomorrow and see if he has any ideas. He has alot of experience w/quads and Toyota 4x4's.

Looks like I'll have to clean the carbs. Can't really seafoam it, since I can't run it hard enough to make a difference anyway. I really wish this was EFI - I hate carbs. I rebuilt the one on my boat and it worked perfectly the first time, so I'm sure I can handle these ones as well.