Bullets Spinning on Ice

Benner

Purchase one of these:

http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/fascinations/top_secret_perpetual_spinning_top.cfm?source=thefind&utm_source=thefind&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=cse_October

Turn it on, place it under the ice, scoop snow over it, drop copper-clad bullet on top of it. Profit.

That is neat. I bet it works. Think about it, the barrel is rifled, so the bullet leaves spinning, the ice absorbs the impact just right and then the bullet lands near by still spinning. The only part that is tough to believe is the fact the bullet does not deform at all.

And copper and lead are not magnetic tool box, so your little toy top will not work.

To deform a bullet the outside force has to be able to push back with enough force to compromise the outside structure. If the ice is giving enough or if it skips off of it then it is possible to still be intact without marks. I'm skepticle because the angle needed to prevent damage to the bullet would result in the bullet being too far away to be able to find it. Bullets just dont bounce off of ice and land 5 feet to the left.

^ The last one was spinning behind the point of impact. A serious collision would have had to occur to completely reverse the the forward momentum of that bullet. Also, it is hard to tell in the video but the bullets don't appear to have rifling marks cut into them. Though the quality is too poor to really make that determination.

I'd lean towards it being faked.

I've found plenty of bullets at the range that looked like they hadn't been fired, except for the rifling marks. Dry, loose soil seems to stop them this way sometimes, muddy soil almost always makes them expand or deform. If the bullet came out of the barrel, it'd have rifling marks, or it wouldn't be spinning...

Now, here's the question: If the friction of the ice was great enough to stop the forward flight of the bullet, why wouldn't it stop the rotation? The rotational energy involved is MUCH less than the forward kinetic energy.

I've found plenty of bullets at the range that looked like they hadn't been fired, except for the rifling marks. Dry, loose soil seems to stop them this way sometimes, muddy soil almost always makes them expand or deform. If the bullet came out of the barrel, it'd have rifling marks, or it wouldn't be spinning...

Now, here's the question: If the friction of the ice was great enough to stop the forward flight of the bullet, why wouldn't it stop the rotation? The rotational energy involved is MUCH less than the forward kinetic energy.

If it this is true...

There's also alot more force stopping the forward motion of the bullet than the spinning motion of the bullet.

• 7 months later...