Who here has experience in tile laying inside a house?

Rustlestiltskin

I'm wanting to eventually tile the recroom in colored slate tile and was wondering who a good contractor would be who was very reasonable who could do the job. I still might do it myself but i'm wondering how much more expensive it would be just to hire somebody. the flooring in the basement now is just cement.

Laying slate or natural stone can be harder to do right, compared to porcelain or ceramic tile. The problem with slate is that every tile is a different thickness. That gives the floor more texture/character, but a pro will lay the floor much more evenly. The same can go for a natural stone, like marble, granite, etc. depending on tile size and thickness. Right now I'm putting down marble tile that's 12x24 and it's a real bitch to lay evenly.

For a first timer I would do a smaller area with porcelain or ceramic before progressing to slate. I did my kitchen, hall, laundry, and bath in porcelain 13x13's and it wasn't too bad.

I put about 200 sq.ft. of slate down in my house and it tuned out pretty good. It was my first time laying any kind of tile.

You can go on Youtube and watch quick videos on how to do it.

this is how i've learned to do quite a few things around the house.

I'm wanting to eventually tile the recroom in colored slate tile and was wondering who a good contractor would be who was very reasonable who could do the job. I still might do it myself but i'm wondering how much more expensive it would be just to hire somebody. the flooring in the basement now is just cement.

Justin (truckin) is highly recommended. I can show pics when I get a chance if you're interested.