93 talon 4g63 nt sputters and will not rev passed 4k

Shawn89

I've serched everywhere and can not find an answer. Car is a 93 5sp 4g63 non turbo. It starts easy every time has spark but smells like its running very very rich, it burns your eyes standing next to it. I checked cam timing and it looked fine, I have not yet checked the crank timing. At idle it sputters bad, almost sounds like its got a heck of a valvetrain in it lol. When I'm trying to take off from a stop it sputters untill about 2k rpm and snooths out a little. If I take it over 3k rpm it starts sputtering again and at 4k it just acts like its hitting the rev limiter but only at full throttle at half throttle it will go a little higher. Can someone help me out? Give me some ideas before I start throwing darts?

I guess it's broke. J/K If you have a timing light clip it to each wire to see if you are getting consistent spark form each plug. Did you check the plug on the Cam Angle Sensor on the end of the head?

Will it free rev okay or does it do the same thing under a load as well?

I changed the wires as well and checked the coil and it is good. Motor runs strong between 2 and 3k rpm good power and does not smoke blue at all. I didn't put the plugs in myself my friend who ownd the car before I did put them in. Cas and ecu will be changed tomorow unless someone here has one I can come get tonight!!

Did this just start out of the blue or what? I dont think an ecu is your problem. Maybe the cas needs to be timed, but i doubt thats bad. Check your wire order? What kind of wires? I would take the plugs out and see what they look like and gap them

The gaps fine. And they still look good. How do you time a cas? Is it posable someone put the timing belt off one tooth on the crank? I checked the cams and they where spot on. I know these engines are zero tolorence though.

I have not done a compression test yet, I have to go buy a gauge.

Just2sweet- I like where your going with that equation...and I appreciate your bringing it up, though I've done thought of that option myself. Lol.

I have not done a compression test yet, I have to go buy a gauge.

Just2sweet- I like where your going with that equation...and I appreciate your bringing it up, though I've done thought of that option myself. Lol.

You said that it runs rich and just cant run over 4k. For dsm's, thats always a symptom of either bag ignition (plugs and wires normally) or boost leak. Check every clamp. The ones that go to the intercooler, to the turbo and to the intake manifold. If your plugs and wires are good, I would double check your work and tighten every clamp and make sure they are on properly.