Diesel guys

Sam1647545489

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware it will not hurt a thing but it is very illegal and you can get in big trouble if you are caught with it and traces can be found in the tank for quite some time after using it. My brother had his tank dipped by a OHP officer a couple years back.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/diesel_fuel.htm

I know it is a dodge site but it explains the fuel characteristics.. Looks like #2 is used for road use just has a different flash point. And they say your gas station should automatically change when the weather drops so you are safe..

I think he was talking about the red dyed farm diesel that you don't have to pay taxes on.

Thru a code in our '09 powerstroke, then it spit and sputtered. I read the manual and it said by running 3 full tanks of uls diesel through it would whip the comp clean, well it didn't, and we fixed it be taking to Ricart. I don't know if it hurts the truck, but the truck new it wasn't supposed to be drinking the red stuff. But this is all ford shit...

Thru a code in our '09 powerstroke, then it spit and sputtered. I read the manual and it said by running 3 full tanks of uls diesel through it would whip the comp clean, well it didn't, and we fixed it be taking to Ricart. I don't know if it hurts the truck, but the truck new it wasn't supposed to be drinking the red stuff. But this is all ford shit...

How do you like the powerstroke. I am looking at a 08 6.4L tomorrow as well. Got a good deal working on it. I have read online some of the problems. Can you explain what the DPF thing is? I see that is the most common thing to do. I plan on leaving the truck stock minus an exhaust.

How do you like the powerstroke. I am looking at a 08 6.4L tomorrow as well. Got a good deal working on it. I have read online some of the problems. Can you explain what the DPF thing is? I see that is the most common thing to do. I plan on leaving the truck stock minus an exhaust.

you have to delete the pf if you don't want a check engine light, and you have to get a programmer to turn that shit off too.

You sir are correct. I order 500 gallons at a time for our work equipment and get a good price on it. Can it be mixed 50/50 with pump diesel and red diesel.

It is the same exact fuel anymore. It used to be that "farm" diesel had a higher sulfur content but with all the new laws that isn't the case. The only difference is the red dye. The price is good because there is not a tax on it for road use like there is diesel you buy at the pump since it is meant for construction equipment, tractors, and many other off road vehicles.

I am looking at a white extended cab f350 with the 6.4 diesel. Long bed. 4x4. Its a basic truck inside which I dont mind since its for work anyways. Where do you work?

thecarcompanyonline.com

I have a crew cab short bed with 100k on it. for 25,950

you have to delete the pf if you don't want a check engine light, and you have to get a programmer to turn that shit off too.

That can be a bit risky. Supposively the EPA regulates the DPF and other environmental equipment on new diesels. By deleting these filters you are essentially committing a felony per the EPA.

• Downvote 1

Power is very smooth (almost like a gas motor), but I think the new Duramax's are the same way. I can barely feel lag (except when towing a lot) in the turbos. Our truck is a base 550 with a 16 foot bed and drives better and smoother than most half tons. Its very enjoyable to drive. I was looking at about the same #'s on my cummins (5.9 w/ tune) as the 6.4 is stock and it was a completely different feel. Both the Powerstroke and Duramax are quiet as a Prius. On the DPF note I know when we first got the truck new I ran red fuel in it because I could and I thought it was a bunch of "EPA" propaganda, but later I noticed the truck starting to miss and loose its responsivety. I also noticed that it slowly leaked coolant so we took it in and they fixed it all under warranty. In the manuel it says it will throw a code if you run offroad in it, then to fix the code you have to cycle 3 tanks of ULSD through it and the truck will delete the code on its own... It never did that. Other then that I love it, its ran very hard every day, more than enough power than you really need (I almost wish I could detune it so the guys don't drive it as hard), great work truck. Test drive them both.

I am looking for just a newer truck. My 04 gas has been a great truck. Never had an issue with it. I borrowed a duramax last winter to plow with so I could have to 2 trucks to keep on my lots with all the snow we had and fell in love with it. I have since wanted one. I would prefer the duramax since all the plow hookups would transfer over easily but if I can get a ford at a good deal then I wouldn't pass it up either. Although I have had tons of diesel equipment for work, I am still kinda new on diesel trucks on what to do and not to do with them. Obviously I know the standard maintenance upkeep on them, but with all the cpu stuff on them now, I dont want to have the truck in limp mode or in the shop all the time for stupid stuff hence why I wanna leave it 99% stock.

Power is very smooth (almost like a gas motor), but I think the new Duramax's are the same way. I can barely feel lag (except when towing a lot) in the turbos. Our truck is a base 550 with a 16 foot bed and drives better and smoother than most half tons. Its very enjoyable to drive. I was looking at about the same #'s on my cummins (5.9 w/ tune) as the 6.4 is stock and it was a completely different feel. Both the Powerstroke and Duramax are quiet as a Prius. On the DPF note I know when we first got the truck new I ran red fuel in it because I could and I thought it was a bunch of "EPA" propaganda, but later I noticed the truck starting to miss and loose its responsivety. I also noticed that it slowly leaked coolant so we took it in and they fixed it all under warranty. In the manuel it says it will throw a code if you run offroad in it, then to fix the code you have to cycle 3 tanks of ULSD through it and the truck will delete the code on its own... It never did that. Other then that I love it, its ran very hard every day, more than enough power than you really need (I almost wish I could detune it so the guys don't drive it as hard), great work truck. Test drive them both.

I am glad that you are having good results with your truck. This is what I wanted to hear as it looks like I will be picking up the ford this weekend. I hope it doesnt let me down.

Red (off highway) fuel and pump fuel right now are essentially the same. The only difference is the red fuel has a dye in it because no tax is charged on it. The dye will help law enforcement see if you are running in for on-highway.

When ULSD (15ppm sulfur) first came out in 2007 some people ran red fuel because off-highway had not yet made the conversion to the 15ppm sulfur. the reason that people wanted to run it at that time was because the red fuel was still 500ppm sulfur.

The sulfur is not the 'desiriable' part of the fuel. The problem is that the process to make 15ppm sulfur fuel takes out a lot of the lubricating properties of the fuel. However, nowadays pump fuel includes additive packages to include lubricity. However, some people still don't trust the additive packages and claim that some of the 03-06 injector problems can be attributed to them not being intended to be run on ULSD. So some guys run a bit of two stroke with their fuel to add some lubricity back in. There are also 'official' on the shelf additives you can buy too.

Running 500ppm sulfur fuel on a truck with DPF will eventually ruin it.

Anyway, if you need to chat let me know. Good luck with the powerjoke :)