Ford Releases R2 Rally Parts for US Fiesta

Rally Pat

Ford just keeps making one awesome move after another. They are going to sell this stuff through the Team O'Neil Rally School.

http://jalopnik.com/5679541/us-rallyers-get-a-fiesta-of-new-ford-parts

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/11/500x_r2_kit.jpg

US will only get the 5 door, and not the 3 door as pictured. So it will look more like this:

http://www.motorsportsjournal.com/Fiesta%20Rally%20Experience%20lat-webb-mainerally-123.jpg

Looks like the kit alone will cost you about $35,000 on top of the price of the car, that's a lot of money for 168hp, fwd car.

US will only get the 5 door, and not the 3 door as pictured. So it will look more like this:

http://www.motorsportsjournal.com/Fiesta%20Rally%20Experience%20lat-webb-mainerally-123.jpg

Looks like the kit alone will cost you about $35,000 on top of the price of the car, that's a lot of money for 168hp, fwd car.

But assuming its getting its own class and trophy, that might be a deal. It might be the Spec Miata for Rally America.

But assuming its getting its own class and trophy, that might be a deal. It might be the Spec Miata for Rally America.

FWD= no care. It was almost cool.

FWD = The preferred 2WD rally car.

I also would rather the parts include an AWD conversion. However, a N/A FWD car is perfect for getting started in Stage Rally. You can't just start in a Turbo AWD car, you have to earn coefficients through racing in the lower classes before they'll let you loose with an Open Class beast.

The FIA has a few different Spec classes in Stage Rally. This could easily become another for people who want to get started. Hopefully RallyCar will take a good look at this and with Block's help get a spec series started to get people into RallyCar RallyCross and Stage Rally.

This would get you a car prepped to the same spec as a factory team for 60-70K. Yes, that's one fucking expensive Fiesta. But that's less than half the cost of an Open Class car, and you will know that it's built to Ford's rally specifications. You could build your own car for less, but you'll have a hard time maintaining the on-course reliability.

I'd love to see Team O'Neil put together 5 or 6 of these (or more) and start a "Skip Barber"-style School/Series for stage rally. That would be awesome. They already teach, they would only have to get a sanction from RallyCar to open a class for their cars. I would seriously consider enrolling if they did this.

I don't have the patience to drive anything that slow, I have to have something that can place the retards in front of me.. behind me.

off the line or on the freeway? on the freeway even a little corolla will hit 75-100mph. Hell even our minivan hauls ass from 70-100mph when needed :o

Yeah, I would love strapping into a harness and whining down the highway with straight-cut gears to work every day in my 168hp Fiesta. That would be so comfortable.

Depends on your commute. It certainly wouldn't be comfortable, but it wouldn't be too bad. I drove the WRX all last winter with no interior and a straight pipe. You get used to it after a while. But I certainly didn't enjoy the run out to MA and back. But that 168hp is going to feel like a lot more when that car is brought down to fighting weight.

I converted my fwd Scirocco to all wheel drive and doubled the horsepower for less than 2 grand. For an extra $33000 I might be able to make it reliable and safe. :)

Bravo Ford, here's to hoping someone buys those kits.

Why do I get the feeling that everyone is missing the point?