Tail Light + Race Fairing = Frustration

EvilTwin

So I'm trying to mount a stock tail light on my 95 ZX6R which has a complete set of race fairings. My first step obviously needs to be to cut out the hole that the tail light will fit through. Unfortunately every one of my attempts to make an accurate template have failed; the measurements just never line up. Does anyone know where I can get a template for this, or have any other suggestions?

try this:

lay masking tape on the taillight until the taillight is covered. trace the outline of the light with a marker on the tape. peel it off and cut along the line with a razor. then stick the cutout tape to the tail and trace again.

hope this helps

try this:

lay masking tape on the taillight until the taillight is covered. trace the outline of the light with a marker on the tape. peel it off and cut along the line with a razor. then stick the cutout tape to the tail and trace again.

hope this helps

I wish it were that easy. The tail light is not flat, it comes to a point. Though you have given me an idea... I could make a mold of the light out of masking tape, cut that to the size of the part of the light that sticks out from the fairing and then trace the outline of the mold onto the fairing... hmm possibility.

If you haven't cut into it yet, You might wanna look at a bolt on light instead. off just about anything you like, or maybee one of those offroad tail lights that sit up on the fender, or maybee the light strips ?? You might have other options that will be easier and come out looking better ??

If you haven't cut into it yet, You might wanna look at a bolt on light instead. off just about anything you like, or maybee one of those offroad tail lights that sit up on the fender, or maybee the light strips ?? You might have other options that will be easier and come out looking better ??

Unfortunately the kid who owned the bike before me cut into the fairing to put two gay little lights in, and did a really bad job at it. The stock light was the only one big enough to cover his hack job.

you know how designers make things like that? molding clay

I suck at molding clay, but where would I get that; a hobby shop?

Unfortunately the kid who owned the bike before me cut into the fairing to put two gay little lights in, and did a really bad job at it. The stock light was the only one big enough to cover his hack job.

I suck at molding clay, but where would I get that; a hobby shop?

they sell it at hobby lobby, michael's etc..