Ford EcoBoost Awesome Torture Test

Littleguy

From Autoblog:

Ford is itching to show that its 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 engine is tough enough to take whatever F-150 buyers can throw at it. In order to do so, the company has lined up a bevy of torture tests and enlisted Mike Rowe to narrate a documentary on the whole affair. Things will kick off with Ford randomly selecting an EcoBoost engine off of the assembly line to be subjected to the equivalent of 150,000 miles on the dyno. From there, the engine will be bolted into an F-150, where it will head to Oregon to skidsteer logs for a lumber company.

Then, the same truck and engine will head to Homestead Miami Speedway where it will tow two Sprint Cup Ford Fusion race cars around the track for 24 hours at full throttle, stopping only for fuel and tires along the way.

But wait, there's more.

From there, the engine will be removed from the 2011 F-150 and bolted into a specially prepared race truck, where it will do battle in the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000. After all of that, Ford will tear down the engine and give the public a look at how things went inside . Sounds like a party. You can hit the jump for a look at the full press release and to check out the first video in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O7I4knkKEo&feature=player_embedded

Ford continues to impress me.

Where are the other ones? I want to watch the rest. Sure seems like a durable turbo. Turbos increase power and fuel efficiency, but they also add a fair amount of complications to an engine. I know, I have a turbo, pain in the ass, of course mine is 20 years old.

So, no replacement parts? They aren't going to replace turbos at any point either? Honestly, I haven't watched the vids yet, (no time right now). Or are they only considering the actual longblock?

They aren't replacing parts or turbos because it isn't a Supra. :bangbang: Sorry man, I can't resist a good Supra joke.

i agree.. or

fusion ST?

awd

6spd to hold the power

ecoboost

13" brakes

$33k

My understanding is that it's coming. I can't put 75k on my car fast enough. I want one. Even in a 6spd Auto it will be fun as hell. Will likely be priced close to $40k though. Just my gut. Until then, I'll pretend with mine :o

My understanding is that it's coming. I can't put 75k on my car fast enough. I want one. Even in a 6spd Auto it will be fun as hell. Will likely be priced close to $40k though. Just my gut. Until then, I'll pretend with mine :o

i dont think it'll get as high $$ wise as the SHO is.. they would mess up their line if they did that... itd be like paying more for a pimped focus than for a fusion.

however when this finally gets here.. its all over.

http://dsgperformance.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/focus-rs-6.jpg

i dont think it'll get as high $$ wise as the SHO is.. they would mess up their line if they did that... itd be like paying more for a pimped focus than for a fusion.

Let's hope not. I'm just basing on what my car listed out at which was just over $33k with every single option on it. give it another 1-2 years and drop in the EcoBoost and I bet it will carry a $5-7k premium. Just look at what they did with the price of the SHO and Boosted Mustangs. Both very nice of course, but overpriced for what they are IMO. Again, just my opinion.