Archery

Drewhop

So went to my parents house this weekend. When I was younger I loved to hunt with a bow. Recurve or compound didnt matter. Always thought it was fun.

I havent picked up a bow in at least 10 years. I was helping my parents clean out my uncles who passed aways house and found all of his old archery stuff. Including the bow I used when I was a teenager.

It was a Super Brown Bear. I also found a few of his new bows. 600 to 700 dollar setups. I spent a few hours cleaning things up and making sure everything was ok. Took them out to shoot. The new bows were cool but honestly to many gadgets for me.

I grabbed a few practice arrows and sat back 25 yards. I was all over the place with the new bows. Grabbed my old Brown bear put the dot on the target. Boom bullseye. Thought it was a fluke. Next 10 arrows were in a 3-4 inch grouping.

Anyone on here enjoy archery I might have to get into the swing of things again. I had a blast and it didnt cost me a dime.

My wife's dad hand makes long bows. I'll throw some pics up in a few. He impresses me.

I might have to contact you in near future. We found a long bow and a recurve that needs restrung. I am sure your father in law knows a good place to pick up supplies.

I used to shoot all the time. We would play "nock tag" where if you tagged the nock of an arrow you'd get to keep it. I'd go with one arrow and leave with a few dozen! Man, it's been years though!

My old weapon of choice was an Indian compound with a mere 65# draw. I used typical eaton arrows till the carbon ones started gaining in popularity. I liked it though because it was extremely compact with a good draw to it, plus it was deadly accurate for me out to about 40 yards. I also had a Bear compound but that thing was massive from wheel to wheel, but it had a better 75#+ draw and would put a better force to the arrow for farther shoots out to about 75 yards. Though it's accuracy would leave a lot to be desired.

I might have to contact you in near future. We found a long bow and a recurve that needs restrung. I am sure your father in law knows a good place to pick up supplies.

There is a great amish shop out towards Bellefontaine that could do some new strings for you. If you are interested let me know.

I love shooting bows. There are a few leagues that you can shoot with a compound bow. I go to A1 Archery in Hillard with mine. When they have a league it's only 1 day a week and lasts about 8 weeks. It's a lot of fun, if your wanting to get some practice, you should check it out.

Jason

I love shooting bows. There are a few leagues that you can shoot with a compound bow. I go to A1 Archery in Hillard with mine. When they have a league it's only 1 day a week and lasts about 8 weeks. It's a lot of fun, if your wanting to get some practice, you should check it out.

Jason

I was watching a few 3d Archery shoots yesterday looked pretty fun. Do they have open practice or is only leagues?

So went to my parents house this weekend. When I was younger I loved to hunt with a bow. Recurve or compound didnt matter. Always thought it was fun.

I havent picked up a bow in at least 10 years. I was helping my parents clean out my uncles who passed aways house and found all of his old archery stuff. Including the bow I used when I was a teenager.

It was a Super Brown Bear. I also found a few of his new bows. 600 to 700 dollar setups. I spent a few hours cleaning things up and making sure everything was ok. Took them out to shoot. The new bows were cool but honestly to many gadgets for me.

I grabbed a few practice arrows and sat back 25 yards. I was all over the place with the new bows. Grabbed my old Brown bear put the dot on the target. Boom bullseye. Thought it was a fluke. Next 10 arrows were in a 3-4 inch grouping.

Anyone on here enjoy archery I might have to get into the swing of things again. I had a blast and it didnt cost me a dime.

Funny, just a few days ago I got to talking about this. I used to a longbow, a recurve, and two shorts. Well, one crossbow, too. I really enjoyed it but that was well over even 10yrs ago for me. I took it up when I found shooting a firearm had become 'too easy'. I'm sure I would suck 100% at this point though I'd love to get into it again. No money for new hobbies currently, though. :( (All my old stuff burned in a house fire many years ago.)

Funny, just a few days ago I got to talking about this. I used to a longbow, a recurve, and two shorts. Well, one crossbow, too. I really enjoyed it but that was well over even 10yrs ago for me. I took it up when I found shooting a firearm had become 'too easy'. I'm sure I would suck 100% at this point though I'd love to get into it again. No money for new hobbies currently, though. :( (All my old stuff burned in a house fire many years ago.)

I was really surprised. The form and technique after all these years. Soon as I put the bow in my hand I remembered it all.

I was watching a few 3d Archery shoots yesterday looked pretty fun. Do they have open practice or is only leagues?

You can just go up there and shoot. I think it's like $5 and they give you a paper target to pin up.

When you do the league, it's $8 for the day. They give you a practice target and you can come an hour early to practice, then the shoot starts.

It's a lot of fun and really allows you to get some practice in, which is especially important if you want to hunt with the bow.

ok you bowers. what would you recommend for a first timer compound for deer? also re-curve for fun, and turkey.

I recommend that you do the same thing as you would with guns; go to an archery shop and hold/shoot them all and pick what you like best.

The one thing I have learned in the last few days is that Mechanical Release is the only way to go. If using a high end compound. When I stopped shooting they had just become popular. I am going to try it and see what I think. The guy at the archery shop said it would make a world of difference in your shooting.

I recommend that you do the same thing as you would with guns; go to an archery shop and hold/shoot them all and pick what you like best.

+1

Hoyt, Matthews, and Bowtech all have great bows. I'd recommend going to Fishermans warehouse, they have a bunch instock and can let you shoot them. Really of great guys there and they'll treat you right. I like the fact everytime I go in, I have the same people helping me. Your there with other enthusiasts, not some guy getting a paycheck.

when i worked at gander mountain, i picked up some PSE bow that was on sale, and with my discount, was dirt cheap. i bought a bunch of stuff to try deer hunting, but sitting in a tree for 6 hours bored the fuck out of me

i was a decent shot from what i remember. i sold all my stuff though years ago. i like guns more

I did stumble on to an old Bear Tigercat recurve bow 40# pull (circa 1978) the other day. Thought I might use it, but just not enough hours in the day. Haven't got around to posting it up, but if someone is interested - $75 with a quiver of about 18 wood target point arrows, arm shield and 'three finger" glove. Bow is strung, a little "storage wear" but no delamination and the limbs look straight.

when i worked at gander mountain, i picked up some PSE bow that was on sale, and with my discount, was dirt cheap. i bought a bunch of stuff to try deer hunting, but sitting in a tree for 6 hours bored the fuck out of me

i was a decent shot from what i remember. i sold all my stuff though years ago. i like guns more

Sitting in the tree for 6 hours getting away from all the dumb fucks is the reason I hunted. The deer were just a bonus.