Why eating 'gluten free' is so frustrating!

Mallard

Yeah, he negged me too.

Oh, and a little more info for V8Beast - It doesn't totally have to do with being how people's bodies chemistry differs. Celiac disease isn't actually an allergy, it's an auto-immune disorder triggered by gluten. Your own body actually attacks the villi in your intestine, causing the illness. There is currently research into different types of gluten reactions people are having. There is a large group of people that have all the symptoms of celiac disease, but they don't test positive on the blood test or have intestinal damage. They're classified as 'gluten sensitive' although they think a gluten sensitivity could develop into celiac. Right now there is still too much unknown.

Although I found this interesting; Supposedly there was a very old shipwreck that was found where in the hull was large containers of grains. These grains, because they were sequestered under water for so long, have not been genetically altered, like the grains we eat today. A person with celiac disease could eat those ancient grains with no reaction.

Here's a quote from a web site:

In celiac disease, gluten stimulates (because of genetic predisposition) the production of immunoglobulins that attack the villi lining the small intestine (that is, the body's own normal tissues). Celiac disease is often confused for an allergic illness because (like an allergy) it requires a foreign substance to trigger it.

Another difference between autoimmune conditions and allergies is that autoimmune disorders are never outgrown; they persist for life. Allergies can sometimes be outgrown.

Also, autoimmune conditions can result in long-term damage to the body. For instance, because celiac disease damages the small intestine, people with celiac disease are at risk for malabsorption, nutritional deficiencies, iron-deficiency anemia, and osteoporosis. People with celiac disease are also at risk for other autoimmune conditions, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, and liver disease.

In addition, in untreated celiac disease, a type of white blood cell called the T lymphocyte is activated, along with other parts of the immune system, putting patients at increased risk to develop gastrointestinal lymphomas. A wheat allergy, in contrast, would not put patients at risk for any of these problems. In general, allergies usually result in only temporary symptoms without long-term damage, unless they produce a fatal anaphylactic reaction.

Edited by Mallard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he negged me too.

Oh, and a little more info for V8Beast - It doesn't totally have to do with being how people's bodies chemistry differs. Celiac disease isn't actually an allergy, it's an auto-immune disorder triggered by gluten. Your own body actually attacks the villi in your intestine, causing the illness. There is currently research into different types of gluten reactions people are having. There is a large group of people that have all the symptoms of celiac disease, but they don't test positive on the blood test or have intestinal damage. They're classified as 'gluten sensitive' although they think a gluten sensitivity could develop into celiac. Right now there is still too much unknown.

Most water "allergies" are auto immune disorders as well. Allergy is a term that can be understood without having to explain yourself in an overly detailed fashion. You say allergy and people know you are talking about an adverse reaction to something. I have a slight auto immune disorder triggered by water. Luckily my condition is just an annoyance and nothing major.

Most water "allergies" are auto immune disorders as well. Allergy is a term that can be understood without having to explain yourself in an overly detailed fashion. You say allergy and people know you are talking about an adverse reaction to something. I have a slight auto immune disorder triggered by water. Luckily my condition is just an annoyance and nothing major.

I wasn't aware "black" and/or "African American" was an auto immune disorder.

BAM! :D