Chatter Box

ScrappyGrl

12. How long do batteries last? The HJC-FRS MultiSport units and X2 units radio batteries will pretty much last a day ride with a full charge. The GMRS X1 will go about 7-8 hours of constant use (talking) or longer if mostly using just audio and private intercom mode. Colder temperature will affect battery efficiency.

Using a DC Power Filter on your bike will greatly increase the usability of your radio on trips. You can charge (plug it in) while stopped, or while riding. In most cases you can charge while riding. In some rare cases (with the engine running) the ground loops on certain bikes electrical system may effect the radio transmission. If this happens just unplug the power filter from your radio at that time.

13. Why my ChatterBox unit's battery charge run out sooner than I first installed it?

All ChatterBox communicators use the Ni-MH typed rechargeable batteries, and Ni-MH batteries tend to have memory effect. (means battery itself forget its full capacity potentials). Also Ni-MH batteries lose 1-3% charge each day when not being used.

Recommend Ni-MH batteries needs to be re-conditioned after 3-6 months of usage. To recondition the Ni-MH batteries, you need to fully discharge the power in the batteries (use the batteries until it is fully out of power), and recharge the batteries with the provided AC charger overnight.

To do the recondition process 1-2 times, it could resolve the battery memory effect problems. To make the discharge process faster, you can leave the FRS MultiSport, X1 and X2 units on and set the VOX sensitivity to high, and place near a running TV or Fm Radio or in a noisy room, until the LOW-BATT-IND indicator up or (for X1, X2 units) its power off itself.

If repeated recondition processes don't resolve the problem, it is the time to order another battery for your unit. Normally, a ChatterBox Ni-MH battery after its first charging by users, its ability to take charge from charger will last about 18 months-2 years for most riders.

I bought this at Schiets with my bike. That was 2 weeks ago. When I bought it...the battery was already plugged into the equipment (which I find strange ...since Chatter Box doesn't recommend this.) It never worked from the day I had it. Schiets says to contact Chatter Box. We are going to try LP's battery to see if it is the battery or the system. Iceman, from Schiets, told me that Chatter Box had a bad batch of batteries....hmmmmm? I think I might research this online.

Has anyone else had this problem?