Anyone de-grease engines?

Doc1647545523

My 1981 Benz 300 SD has been "marking its territory" with a few drops of oil each night since I brought it home. It's been up on a half dozen lifts around town, and one of the sources identified for the leak was the lower oil pan gasket, which has been replaced (which reduced the dripping by about half). There are multiple places on the block which could still be contributing to the leak, but everyone who has looked at the juicy mess has said the whole underside will need a good de-greasing before the next biggest leak can be identified. Fortunately, the rear main seal is out of the running as a culprit.

Ideally, this would be done by someone with a lift and also a drain that can handle oily waste and cleaning chemicals. I'm not sure if steaming it would be the best way to go, but I wouldn't mind having the whole engine bay degreased and detailed while we're at it.

I'm not in any hurry to get this done, as the total oil consumption (burning/leaking) is now about one quart every 1500-2000 miles. It's the annoyance of having one dripping car that's motivating me.

Suggestions on someone to do this dirty job?

Simple Green works very good. I usually spray Simple Green into the engine bay and let it sit for about five minute. then hose it down with the high pressure washer at one of those self wash place.

Be careful doing that. If it isnt completely rinsed off it will mess some things up.

I use purple power, and high pressure water. If you use a solvent based cleaner be careful where you use it, if its on pavement itll eat it up badly. Or I'd contact one of the dealers on here and see how they do it. I was looking at a few cars last week that should have been grease pits but they looked better than new.

We have engine degreaser at the shop that we use pretty often. Usually for that purpose of identifying leaks, or I usually use that and hot water on dirty top sides of the engine when I do oil changes and the engine bay is hideous.

Thanks, Sean. PM sent.

I always powerwash my engines with them running. Doc have you tried a detail shop?

A detail shop would be down on my list, as most concentrate on degreasing an engine based on what you see from the top. I've got good degreasing products to tackle that part of the job. My mess is on the bottom of the block, and the most important part of the job will be getting things cleaned from that angle. This job needs to be done with the car on a lift.

have them put engine oil dye in it to find the leak.

I hadn't thought of that ..... good suggestion, AJ. Is the fluorescent stuff (such as Tracerline Dye-Lite) the best way to go? Any suggestions on what shops use black lights for this?

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. :)

When I worked at NTB, Pep Boys and ProCare they all had the dye on hand for this. If you get the dye I have a black light and some glasses that help in seeing the dye. You are free to borrow them. Unfortunately, I don't have a lift so I can't help in that area.

I hadn't thought of that ..... good suggestion, AJ. Is the fluorescent stuff (such as Tracerline Dye-Lite) the best way to go? Any suggestions on what shops use black lights for this?

yes, tracerline is who makes GM's dye. i have the dye lights if you want to borrow them.

That's going to be a shitty job, no easy way out, definitely worth paying someone to do.

Pressure washer works great but it does fling oil onto other surfaces which calls for secondary cleaning, it can also rupture weak old paper/cork gaskets.

Purple power/alkaline based detergents do a good job but they're hell on exposed skin and can tarnish any exposed aluminum.

I usually go for a combination of hand scraping, soaking with a petroleum based engine cleaner and scrubbing with a used toothbrush.

If I have the engine out of the car I use a pressure washer, can't beat it.

• 2 weeks later...
That's going to be a shitty job, no easy way out, definitely worth paying someone to do.

QFT :D

To follow-up, I ended up taking Sean (Crossle) up on his offer and took the car today to Northend Wrench where he works. He spent a good two hours on this and multiple cans of degreaser, along with powerwashing. It took all of that to get the old crud off. We also opted to use the tracer dye, and FYI they make special tracer dye for diesel engines. Who would have thunk it?

It definitely paid off. Sean located leaks from the injection pump/block seal, front crank seal, and the turbo tube.

Many thanks to Sean for his extra effort and to the more-than-fair price charged by Northend Wrench for the time and mess. It was my first time there, and I was very impressed. :thumbup:

Thanks for those of you who posted your suggestions to the thread.