WTB Snowblower

KennyFKINPowerz

I hate to break it to you, but the used deals have been shitty. After last winter's snow, everyone wants premium money for thier used stuff. I ended up getting the Labor Day sale Lowes was having on them - paid $510 for a 24" Troy Built unit. My back is going to thank me this year. :)

I grabbed an electric one off of ebay for $150 shipped and it was new, aside from that or a store sale it's hard to score a deal on one.

Electrics are good for a small sidewalk dusting, and that's about it. Single stage gas units are good for a little bit more than that, but not any real amount of snow. 2-stage is about the only thing worth buying.

Save $400 and pay Erik or your neighbor's kid for the 2-3 times you'll actually "need" to use the thing in Columbus.

I was shoveling a LOT more than 3 times last year. I had several weeks where I was shoveling 3+ times. For what I shoveled, it would cost me about $50 a pop to have cared for...no thanks.

there are quite a few on craigslist. I am actually looking to buy one as well and have seen plenty of "decent" deals on there

I just looked - I didn't see a single decent deal. Anything 2-stage was about $100-150 less than you could buy a brand new equivalent model for, and these are 15+ year old machines that look to have been very well used.

Electrics are good for a small sidewalk dusting, and that's about it. Single stage gas units are good for a little bit more than that, but not any real amount of snow. 2-stage is about the only thing worth buying.

I only need it for my driveway and if only once, it was money well spent. It's not one of the little "power shovel kind", it's actually a single stage 18 x 10" so it should be fine for my limited use. My neighbor has one similar and it did a really good job so I think it will be ok. I just couldn't see spending $400+ for a decent gas one I might use once a year or couple years. Plus trying to get someone back here to plow the driveway out is next to impossible since the city usually plows our area last.

I only need it for my driveway and if only once, it was money well spent. It's not one of the little "power shovel kind", it's actually a single stage 18 x 10" so it should be fine for my limited use. My neighbor has one similar and it did a really good job so I think it will be ok. I just couldn't see spending $400+ for a decent gas one I might use once a year or couple years. Plus trying to get someone back here to plow the driveway out is next to impossible since the city usually plows our area last.

They actually do work quite well. Especially here Cbus. We don't get "dumped on" all at once much if at all. I did all mine with a manual auger type and did just fine. Barely any lifting expect for when the snow really piled up.

I may go small electric if I get one. I don't any more shit in my garage nor another gas/oil powered anything to fuss with. Just plug and play. Hell, if I owned an Audi A4 and a 4x4 SUV I wouldn't shovel much at all.

For those that like snow.....I can't wait.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/121996015/original.jpg

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/21589.920402_4.jpg

I just bought one of these. 208cc, electric start, 6 forward gears, 2 reverse, 24" wide, etc. It's made by Ariens. They have them at Home Depot for $599. Grab yourself a 10% coupon, and they're $539. You truly can't beat this deal. By far the highest rated in it's class. I've been shopping since last winter, compared all of them, watched for the best deals, etc.

PS: If you need your driveway/sidewalk cleared in the Pickerington, Canal Winchester, etc areas, give me a shout. I'll be working for beer.

They actually do work quite well. Especially here Cbus. We don't get "dumped on" all at once much if at all. I did all mine with a manual auger type and did just fine. Barely any lifting expect for when the snow really piled up.

I may go small electric if I get one. I don't any more shit in my garage nor another gas/oil powered anything to fuss with. Just plug and play. Hell, if I owned an Audi A4 and a 4x4 SUV I wouldn't shovel much at all.

SUV? I don't own an SUV. I had to tow my work truck out of the driveway with my Avalanche one morning - I was not pleased. Wife's A4 got stuck at the end of our driveway too (AWD isn't so useful when the snow is past the bumper). Since I have a bit of land, drifting is also an issue.

It is worth spending a little more to have the proper tool for the job. My new one is the same as Ben's expect it is a Troy Built...electric start and all that jazz.

I just bought one of these. 208cc, electric start, 6 forward gears, 2 reverse, 24" wide, etc. It's made by Ariens. They have them at Home Depot for $599. Grab yourself a 10% coupon, and they're $539. You truly can't beat this deal. By far the highest rated in it's class. I've been shopping since last winter, compared all of them, watched for the best deals, etc.

PS: If you need your driveway/sidewalk cleared in the Pickerington, Canal Winchester, etc areas, give me a shout. I'll be working for beer.

i have the lowes version of this. i looked at them both and they are almost the same to the point i think the same people make it. same with the craftsman my dad has. his is a 28" though that we bought 3-4 years ago and its never had a problem.

things to watch out for though that i have come across with his 28" and will have the same problem with mine. watch out for news papers, sometimes you can't see them and it will stop the second stage blade. you'll have to shut it down and then turn the blade backwards to get the papers out. now if its not a very busy week in the news it will chew them up and spread it all over your yard lol.

also be careful with the wet snow and the slush around the end of the driveways, sometimes it will try and clog the shoot up of you try and take too big of bite or go too fast.

SUV? I don't own an SUV. I had to tow my work truck out of the driveway with my Avalanche one morning - I was not pleased. Wife's A4 got stuck at the end of our driveway too (AWD isn't so useful when the snow is past the bumper). Since I have a bit of land, drifting is also an issue.

It is worth spending a little more to have the proper tool for the job. My new one is the same as Ben's expect it is a Troy Built...electric start and all that jazz.

Avalanche, SUV....whatever. I had to bust your chops again for having two 4wd vehicles combined with this post ;)

Go make some babies and get a minivan already. They make AWD vans and even the standard ones go through just about anything. :bangbang:

My 9" craftsman has been money, for $279. There is no need for a 24" high deck on a snowblower for Columbus, Cleveland yes, Columbus no. Even last year we didn't have more than 9 inches on the driveway at once. We don't get that much snow why waste the cash?

My 9" craftsman has been money, for $279. There is no need for a 24" high deck on a snowblower for Columbus, Cleveland yes, Columbus no. Even last year we didn't have more than 9 inches on the driveway at once. We don't get that much snow why waste the cash?

some of use have huge driveways. mine is 227' so how long would that take me with a 9" blower and the deep piles at the end of the drive from the city plows?

:lol:

That's all I have to say about that.

It's cool, takes me all of 10 min to clear my driveway and sidewalks with it. Most of the time I don't need a coat I'm not out very long. My driveway can fit 4 cars, it's small. John knows, he's an old school neighbor. My shit is in the garage ready to go, started it up and did the maintenance a couple weeks ago. Haven't shoveled since before march 08, I remember buying it before we had all that snow the day before my daughters first birthday, we canceled her party because the city wouldn't plow our court. We got around fine with AWD.

some of use have huge driveways. mine is 227' so how long would that take me with a 9" blower and the deep piles at the end of the drive from the city plows?

I'm about an hour from Cleveland. :(

My driveway is also just over 100' long, but I don't park in the garage when we are supposed to get snow so unless the wife needs out of the garage, I don't have to clear the whole length. As I said though, for the one time we really get dumped on, I should be ok with the electric. It's just something to save my back and get in to work as opposed to doing a full on clearing of the driveway. I'll clear myself a path to the road and call the plow man if it's THAT bad out.