Digital SLR Camera Help

wagner

He said he has the 75-300mm lens or I'd sell him mine cheap. I haven't used it for years since I got the 70-200 to replace it. Its a zoom and thats it, there's nothing nice about it, slow to focus and very cheaply made (plastic everything). Well I guess there is one nice thing, it weighs nothing, but to me thats a drawback.

I ran my own photography company for almost 10 years. My bread and butter was Drag Racing and I traveled from track to track all over the country with my trailer and equipment. You DO NOT want the 70-200 for this. It is a great low light lens but not the greatest for what you want to do. If you want to spend the money then try this. I used this lens the last 2 years that I was in business and loved it.

:wtf: I do a ton of event photography in my business and have for years. Whatever worked for you, but I would not say the above regarding the 70-200. by far one of the best lenses Canon has ever made. Optically, it's nearly perfect. I'm waiting for the backlog of the newest version to break loose in Mid Dec then I'm buying a new one.

Oh yeah, of coarse. Truthfully I shot just about every variation of lens and body combination's. I really don't think the IS is worth it on that lens. Its just a selling point. With the lighting limitations of the lens, where you would use the lens, the IS isnt needed.

probably true but my wife uses the camera the most and might as well. ;)

I wanna get a pedo-approved zoom but man those are pricey!

I wasn't going to argue over the 28-300L vs 70-200L, but since its still going I guess I'll say that I've never really noticed the 28-300 while nearly every photog in the business owns a 70-200 even if they don't take it out much because they shoot primes.

I'm sure if the 28-300 was even equal to a 70-200 in IQ that everyone would have one of those instead. I know I would so there's likely some type of problem with it such as heavy vignetting, CA, or something else. Especially with that wide of a focal range. That single lens would basically make my main kit obsolete (16-35LmkII, 24-70L, 50, 70-200L.) Each of those lenses has a purpose and can't be replaced by a single lens at this time. I also wouldn't need to carry a 5DmkII and a 40D around with me at the weddings (stuff gets heavy you know.)

Exactly. Pro shooters don't carry a super zoom in their collection, that they regularly shoot with. I bought 70-200 2.8IS last year, and I never would have compared it in interest to the 28-300. I shoot children's sports year round and sometimes can't achieve the shutter I want in a gym at 2.8 so why would I want a lens that's even less capable.

People argue zoom factor. That's why god gave me legs. And to top it when I'm in doors I'm not normally in the high end.

Any Nikon/Nikkor fans out there? The fiancee' is sporting a Nikon D60 I bought her with a 18~200 lense she's using for the day to day stuff and the stock 18~55mm it comes with. I want to upgrade her body and pick up one of the I think its 3000 series cameras but I'm not sure if its needed yet or not (she's a digital design student at cscc and it was required for her course work). Throw out some ideas, I like hearing this kinda stuff.

I own one IS lens and don't use it. been meaning to sell it, but I'm to busy 28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS.

I'm a pro though so I understand the relationship between shutter/focal length, subject movement, etc and can work around not having IS. By pro I'm not meaning "elitist attitude" I've simply shot tens of thousands of photos with my gear and know it well and shoot for pay.

For everyone else IS can help, but the point of owning a DSLR camera with all those settings is learning to use them so that you can get great shots. If your the shaky hands type of person get IS though for sure.

IS is great in situations, but to me in weddings I'm dealing with low light + moving people so it doesn't really help. Thats where strobes come in handy.

Any Nikon/Nikkor fans out there? The fiancee' is sporting a Nikon D60 I bought her with a 18~200 lense she's using for the day to day stuff and the stock 18~55mm it comes with. I want to upgrade her body and pick up one of the I think its 3000 series cameras but I'm not sure if its needed yet or not (she's a digital design student at cscc and it was required for her course work). Throw out some ideas, I like hearing this kinda stuff.

Tell her to aim for the D7000 that just came out.. that thing is sexy

or maybe the d90 if she cant afford the d7000

Yeah all the lenses we've picked up have been VR, its amazing for windy ass days and taking pictures on the fly especially if we dont have the monopad out or whatever.

Looking into the D7000 now, lets see what happens...