NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras by 2014

frenchy chan

Have the haters here ever had one in a DD'er ? I would say not because if you did, you would have nothing but 100% support for them.I have one in the Fusion and it's priceless. I won't get a sedan or van without one from here on out.

Part of my job entails moving cars in/out/around a cramped, busy shop (people running around, other customers' vehicles, lifts, etc). Have I driven cars with reverse cameras? Yes. Do they do their job? Yes. However, neither myself nor my coworkers have a problem avoiding the aforementioned obstacles in the vast majority of cars serviced that aren't equipped with reverse cameras.

Part of my job entails moving cars in/out/around a cramped, busy shop (people running around, other customers' vehicles, lifts, etc). Have I driven cars with reverse cameras? Yes. Do they do their job? Yes. However, neither myself nor my coworkers have a problem avoiding the aforementioned obstacles in the vast majority of cars serviced that aren't equipped with reverse cameras.

People also:

* Have no problem not dying from hypothermia without heated seats

* Have no problem manually cranking up windows

* Have no problem locking their doors manually

* Not driving a retard (Vehicle stabiilty)

* Keeping tires inflated (TPMS)

The list obviously goes on forever, this will become another industry standard item.

Shouldn't you be pleasuring Derek ?

People also:

* Have no problem not dying from hypothermia without heated seats

* Have no problem manually cranking up windows

* Have no problem locking their doors manually

* Not driving a retard (Vehicle stabiilty)

* Keeping tires inflated (TPMS)

Two of these things are not like the others[/badsinging]... in that they save lives.

Just a little FYI, ESC (just like these cameras) also makes the car capable of things that you (nor anyone else) can do on their own.

Two of these things are not like the others[/badsinging]... in that they save lives.

Just a little FYI, ESC (just like these cameras) also makes the car capable of things that you (nor anyone else) can do on their own.

Thanks safety police.

Go choke on a leprechaun penor.

If somebody backs over my kid it's their fault period.

No, you should have kept your dumb kid from walking into the path of a vehicle, or maybe it is a dumb parent who doesn't teach a kid that doesn't know any better. Either way to not know when you are doing something that can hurt, make sure you do the precautions to protect yourself, do not make it someone elses responsibility. Its like kids at OSU saying that they have the right of way when walking out in front of a bus.

No, you should have kept your dumb kid from walking into the path of a vehicle, or maybe it is a dumb parent who doesn't teach a kid that doesn't know any better. Either way to not know when you are doing something that can hurt, make sure you do the precautions to protect yourself, do not make it someone elses responsibility. Its like kids at OSU saying that they have the right of way when walking out in front of a bus.

+1

Actually the best and probably cheapest/easiest implementation I've seen is in the rear view mirror. If you aren't already putting an infotainment center in there that's what I would bet auto makers do. Anyways it's just silly to say having this be mandatory will drive makers to put an infotainment center into the car. The market is what's driving that and it will come on all cars soon regardless of whether they have backup cameras or not.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/b7/63/76a231b33ed9f4a20c61c78e626b.jpg

They look just like a regular mirror until the screen turns on and are extremely intuitive to use since you are used to looking there to see behind the car.

I wouldn't call $729 cheap on amazon. I think that is a great product, but just not cheap.

I wouldn't call $729 cheap on amazon. I think that is a great product, but just not cheap.

Good thing I was using that just for an example of the picture and not that actual product or price or you might actually have a point.

$326

I disagree. As an adult operating a vehicle, unless that kid is under the tire hiding, you're at fault. Maybe not legally in every case, but nonetheless, you the driver killed the kid, not the lack of anyone else holding his/her hand and certainly not the child who is after all, a child. You moved a vehicle without insuring the path was clear and being an adult you're supposed to be more responsible than a child or even their parents. Why? Because you are operating a 3,xxxlb instrument that could kill someone. It's very unlikely a parent is going to be within eye sight of a child age 6-10 years old every minute of the day. That said and known, you need to be responsible and insure the path you're moving a vehicle in is clear. If you're not going to do this than don't drive. Like I tell my wife, it's not my fault for putting the trash at the end of the driveway that YOU hit it. As an operator of the vehicle, you're accountable for it's movement.

These systems were put in place because time and time again, people CAN'T see in blind spots which exist behind every vehicle and choose NOT to check those blind spots before backing up. They were put in place to save lives. You can't put a price high enough on that.

300,000,000+ americans, not nearly enough accidents to warrant lots of things we get "protected" from. To me its simply stats and natural selection.

How is me backing over your child natural selection?! Using that logic every murder is natural selection and shouldn't be prosecuted?