V10 Ram?

zeitgeist57

Because automatics suck the life out of any and all vehicles.

Don't care how fast they are, boring as hell.

The only ones who get a half point are the DSG style automated manuals, and even then, a manual is more fun.

I am assuming clay feels the same.

I am all for a manual trans in a sports car, muscle car, but not in a truck. Having a granny gear, and a heavy clutch is not fun to drive, its there for a purpose.

Now just for the haters, obviously you've never driven a high stall auto. I'm not saying that it's better because a manual would be better in most cases, but my car is an absolute blast to drive and has its place.

I am all for a manual trans in a sports car, muscle car, but not in a truck. Having a granny gear, and a heavy clutch is not fun to drive, its there for a purpose.

Now just for the haters, obviously you've never driven a high stall auto. I'm not saying that it's better because a manual would be better in most cases, but my car is an absolute blast to drive and has its place.

Start in 2nd gear when unloaded, lord knows you have plenty of torque. Even when just towing my car I usually start in second gear, no problem.

Start in 2nd gear when unloaded, lord knows you have plenty of torque. Even when just towing my car I usually start in second gear, no problem.

We have pulled 45' fully loaded 8 horse trailers with automatics and never had to start in a different gear (for anything, loaded or unloaded). You are talking HEAVY fucking loads to need anything more than a nice gas engine and an auto with good gearing in a truck.

Edited by LJ
clarifying what I am saying

We have pulled 45' fully loaded 8 horse trailers with automatics and never had to start in a different gear (for anything, loaded or unloaded). You are talking HEAVY fucking loads to need anything more than a nice gas engine and an auto with good gearing in a truck.

Sure big gas engines will get the job done in most cases, BUT not in all cases. Try dragging a similar load out west through Colorado, and you'd be praying for a diesel. Not only would the gas motor struggle, it would need to be kept at high rpm to maintain reasonable speed up grades, all the while getting even worse mileage doing it.

My parents old gas suburban would tow their 8000 lb trailer okay, but it would live up around 5.5k rpm when climbing any grade or accelerating, and would go from 17mpg unloaded to around 7 with the trailer. My dad recently bought a diesel ram (with the manual) and the thing has more than enough power to tow their trailer all across the powerband, in about any gear. What's more, he gets a similar 16-17mpg unloaded, but his mileage only drops to around 12-13 when towing a trailer.

Gas will "work", in many cases, but I can't think of any reason to prefer it over a diesel.

Gas will "work", in many cases, but I can't think of any reason to prefer it over a diesel.

Because for many weekend warriors a nice gas engine is more cost effective when you do the analysis between the extra cost of the diesel truck + the higher cost of fuel + higher maintenance costs vs MPG. The only people I can think of on here that would have a true benefit from a diesel truck would be Sam and Erik. Maybe there are some others that haul heavy equipment daily, but to take your car to the track and back 3 times a year or to haul mulch in the spring, a gas truck is just fine.