Chrysler Comeback?

Mallard

A year ago and a half ago the outlook for Chrysler was bleak. All their product was crap and there was no hope on the horizon. Today it looks like they have made great strides and most of their line up for 2011 is new and getting good reviews. Their marketing is doing a great job too.

So far they have:

Challenger - 300 HP V6, and the SRT get's 470 HP (Although could be underrated).

Journey - ~280 HP v6, all new steering, suspension tuning, and a really nice looking interior with one of the largest and fastest responding touch screens in the industry. Minor exterior changes.

Avenger/200C - Minor exterior changes for Avenger (but decent looking), ~280HP V6 in a very affordable package, much improved interior, all new suspension tuning and bushings. One was next to me at a light this morning and the guy punched it off the line. I was surprised to hear it chirp second gear and it moved out pretty quickly. The 200C gets all the same, but has an all new exterior. It's a lot better than the old Sebring, but I'm undecided if I like the front. The rear resembles a new Jag XF, and actually looks ok.

Caravan/Town&Country - Minor exterior, all new interior is a huge improvement, new suspension tuning.

Charger - All new for 2011. Haven't seen too many reviews on it yet. The interior dash design is polarizing, with is a good thing. Better to have 'love-it or hate -it' over 'meh.'

300C - All new for 2011. No reviews yet. I think it looks ok, except for the ugly tail lights.

Grand Cherokee - All new, great interior, ride/handling, off-road capability, and looks. Traction control and suspension have different selectable modes.

Wrangler - All new interior is a huge improvement. Now available with a color matching hard top. In Europe the diesel engine gets start/stop.

The compass is getting a new exterior that mimics the GC and has a refreshed interior that matched the Patriot.

So with all this activity is anyone considering a Chrysler that typically wouldn't have? I've been in quite a few of these and I think this is quite a comeback story. I was never a Chrysler fan, but for the first time ever I could see myself considering a few of these if I were in the market again.

One of my best friends has a 300C.

It's been a remarkably reliable vehicle, other than the usual stuff they are known for (tie rods every 10-15K). Going on 110,000 miles now with oil changes and tie rods, tranny flushes/ coolant flushes ect. Just regular maintenance.

The interior is by all measures, on par with an 80's grand prix, hard black textured plastics as far as the eye can see. While peppy, certainly not neck snapping, not that great on fuel.

His words " My next car will definitely be german" :p

the new 300 takes away everything that was so inspiring about the old one. Yeah, they toned down the baller/gangster look of the last generation one, but thats what made it so great. It was mostly driven by ballers and gangsters but at the same time it was upscale enough for Grandpa to drive, feel young in, yet not have to "step down" in his mind. The new one is a clear appeal to the septuagenarians who didn't like the high hood and brash grille, but it alienates everyone who liked the ridiculous Gotham City villain looking car. Also, crappy hard plastics galore.

200C is still a goddamn sebring and I don't care what anyone says. Just cuz you put a cheap "200C" logo on the C pillar doesn't change anything, and the front proves that it is still clinging to the terrible Sebring roots; which also indicates that Mitsubishi won't be doing anything to modify the now-laughable Eclipse's Sebring roots as well.

The only people who buy the Challenger V6 are the people who didn't do enough research on the Mustang or Camaro V6. And AFAIK you still can't get the SRT8 with a stick shift which is mindbogglingly retarded.

the new 300 takes away everything that was so inspiring about the old one. Yeah, they toned down the baller/gangster look of the last generation one, but thats what made it so great. It was mostly driven by ballers and gangsters but at the same time it was upscale enough for Grandpa to drive, feel young in, yet not have to "step down" in his mind. The new one is a clear appeal to the septuagenarians who didn't like the high hood and brash grille, but it alienates everyone who liked the ridiculous Gotham City villain looking car. Also, crappy hard plastics galore.

200C is still a goddamn sebring and I don't care what anyone says. Just cuz you put a cheap "200C" logo on the C pillar doesn't change anything, and the front proves that it is still clinging to the terrible Sebring roots; which also indicates that Mitsubishi won't be doing anything to modify the now-laughable Eclipse's Sebring roots as well.

The only people who buy the Challenger V6 are the people who didn't do enough research on the Mustang or Camaro V6. And AFAIK you still can't get the SRT8 with a stick shift which is mindbogglingly retarded.

SRT8 has a 6 speed option. it always had that option.

While I have been more and more impressed with GM and Ford, Chrysler has been a disappointment. The 200c and "new" 300c are meh, especially compared to American/European/Japanese rivals. Sure, the Pentestar v6 makes 300hp, but it is after almost every other car company has already done it, and doesn't even help at all in a car like the Challenger that weighs as much as a cruise ship.

Meh, I was in a 500whp challanger and it felt like a boat. a quick boat but still a boat.

You know who stepped it up?

hyundai

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/articles/images03/dub-hyundai-genesis-sedan-front-quarter-main.jpg

385hp

http://hipstersunited.com/images/hyundai-genesis-coupe-concept-2007-771073.jpg

305hp 3.8 + the 2.0t thats just waiting to be raped

http://www.autotodays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2011-hyundai-sonata.jpg

2.0t 274hp on 87 285 on 92

Thats a company that no one would have bought and now there are putting out some nice shit.