Got a track bike GSX-R750, tons of pics of preperation process

vw151

This thread just got a whole lot better :p Nice track pics VW!

Thanks man. Hope to have some more good one's in April.

I learned in school that boobies make guys calm. I applied this knowledge today. ;)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that. Very interesting to think about. And now that you put it that way I can see that it would be impossible for your forks to move independently unless it was really broken. That's some crazy shit with the compression and rebound on separate sides. What is the advantage of splitting them up other than illustrating an interesting point about forks. Isn't the new R1 the bike that has the really cool firing order also? Those guys are crazy.

Actually, my gas charged set up in my race bike is the same way. Compression on one fork and rebound in the other... Think of it this way - your forks are actually all one system. Like your swingarm on your Duc. It does the same thing a twin spar one does. They move together at the same time and go up and down in unison...

It's simply an edge that Rub has and that's it. Tommy Hayden is a great racer, but Mladin has that little bit more.

Fitzgerald can tell Reuben what to look for on that shock dyno, let's say on a certain TTX or similar Ohlins. Matt however, won't get that info unless he calls Mike or when that info gets out which is usually a track only type of info and when it does get to the techs out there, they are already using something different.

Guys like Jensen and others are riding on prototype stuff that doesn't exist to the general public. It will, but not yet. If you are around that stuff and can get info that relates to things you can do on the stuff that IS available to make it better than "spec", that's an advantage.

They would never give Jenson's prototypes to Reuben because then Reuben would beat him!

I agree with you that you haven't dogged me, you are just saying that you believe Reuben is better at suspension. Actually you have said many nice things about me and for that I thank you. I don't think Yota is very pissed. He for sure didn't call me for information.

Your arguments for Reuben having the edge over us at IndyDucati are very good ones. I can tell you know alot about suspension and the industry from reading your posts. I called Reuben and asked him what he thought about this thread and we didn't come up with much more than we both respect each other's abilities. Although I am not sure we are going to be recommending each other for suspension work!:D

Of course, there are some things that you may not know about me and/or some of my connections and approaches to suspensions. Imagine my surprise when a colleague and I found a change inside a TTX shock that we had come up with a year earlier. It was things like this that Reuben and I really had a great time connecting on in the short time we worked together. Whatever the case, we should in all good fun have a fairfight IndyDucati vs Reuben suspension showdown and see what the reality is. This would be a blind test in which the rider attempts fast laps at Putnam on forks that are identical other than marks the rider can't see. No matter who wins it would be cool and you and yota have to be there and have some fun too!

They would never give Jenson's prototypes to Reuben because then Reuben would beat him!

I agree with you that you haven't dogged me, you are just saying that you believe Reuben is better at suspension. Actually you have said many nice things about me and for that I thank you. I don't think Yota is very pissed. He for sure didn't call me for information.

Your arguments for Reuben having the edge over us at IndyDucati are very good ones. I can tell you know alot about suspension and the industry from reading your posts. I called Reuben and asked him what he thought about this thread and we didn't come up with much more than we both respect each other's abilities. Although I am not sure we are going to be recommending each other for suspension work!:D

Of course, there are some things that you may not know about me and/or some of my connections and approaches to suspensions. Imagine my surprise when a colleague and I found a change inside a TTX shock that we had come up with a year earlier. It was things like this that Reuben and I really had a great time connecting on in the short time we worked together. Whatever the case, we should in all good fun have a fairfight IndyDucati vs Reuben suspension showdown and see what the reality is. This would be a blind test in which the rider attempts fast laps at Putnam on forks that are identical other than marks the rider can't see. No matter who wins it would be cool and you and yota have to be there and have some fun too!

LOLz My suspension is gonna kick your suspension's ass that's all I know. I can't wait to get that shock and those forks back Matt. This thing is gonna rail compared to the way it was feeling at Barber.

Thanks for your response, Matt. I have even more respect for you and that post. I think you do great work and feel you are a solid suspension guy and tech for motorcycle performance. You have a good reputation.

As far as Jensen goes, Robert and Reuben go way back and they are friends. Friends tend to help each other out and he can be a sounding board for Reuben at times. At the track, we are a community of friends that rarely is seen in other sports. You want to beat the hell out of them on the track, but off, we don't share everything, but set-up questions can be answered if the circle is tight enough. Suggestions, if you will or address issues one is having that another is not.

On the rider competition thing, I don't think it would prove anything due to the fact that the rider is still at MINIMUM 80-90% of the equation. I've seen top WERA National guys ride stock suspended bikes at a pace that would embarass most seasoned racers at the regional level. But, I think it would be a fun day and would certainly come and watch.

What's really cool is that there are such good suspension and motor guys so damn close to us all around here. Also, the fact that they are both seemingly cool people and are passionate about this sport.

Cheers, Matt.

Thanks for your response, Matt. I have even more respect for you and that post. I think you do great work and feel you are a solid suspension guy and tech for motorcycle performance. You have a good reputation.

As far as Jensen goes, Robert and Reuben go way back and they are friends. Friends tend to help each other out and he can be a sounding board for Reuben at times. At the track, we are a community of friends that rarely is seen in other sports. You want to beat the hell out of them on the track, but off, we don't share everything, but set-up questions can be answered if the circle is tight enough. Suggestions, if you will or address issues one is having that another is not.

On the rider competition thing, I don't think it would prove anything due to the fact that the rider is still at MINIMUM 80-90% of the equation. I've seen top WERA National guys ride stock suspended bikes at a pace that would embarass most seasoned racers at the regional level. But, I think it would be a fun day and would certainly come and watch.

What's really cool is that there are such good suspension and motor guys so damn close to us all around here. Also, the fact that they are both seemingly cool people and are passionate about this sport.

Cheers, Matt.

Surely we could find 2 riders that are closely matched. I love it Ducati Indy vs. Reuben Suspension ride off. It'd be a lot like celebrity in a reasonably priced car on top gear. Maybe it'd be better if we had the same rider (a control) and have him ride a few session's on matt's forks then a few on reubens. That way they can both set the stuff up for the riders weight and everything.

Is the Stig available? he could settle this with out even riding. He could probably just press on the forks a few times and say which is better and you couldn't argue. he's the stig.

Ever need any notes, I got a book full of them. Raced that model from 2001-2003 and was VERY intimate with it. Watch a few things, but they were tanks and held up really well... Again, if you come to any STT events at Mid-Ohio or I can leave them with the boys at Pony, I have a book full of notes and gearing. I can tell ya gearing we ran at Barber back then, too...

Getting back off the suspension competition topic.

Lizard, bring those notes. I'd love to talk to you about this bike when I'm at Mid-OH on the 25th and 26th. Information is good. I may not be to the point where I can use it all but I'm sure it will help as I progress.

Getting back off the suspension competition topic.

Lizard, bring those notes. I'd love to talk to you about this bike when I'm at Mid-OH on the 25th and 26th. Information is good. I may not be to the point where I can use it all but I'm sure it will help as I progress.

No worries. I always have my notes with me in the trailer...

got a few pics of the tank uploaded. I forgot to take pics of the bondo and the braising of the nails an slide hammer we used to get rid of the dent. I kept forgetting my camera. Just ended up using the iphone to take these pics of the tank after fresh paint. It dries more flat than this but you get the picture. Looks good eh?

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187-1.jpg

u have erased my highside!!!! Thanks! looking great man!

Yah, I've been waiting on other stuff so I figured I might as well work on the body for now. It's gonna look good for a track rat.

How is that 2004 treating you? Curious, what differences you have noticed from 1 generation to the next.

Houston... you have a problem... Why didnt you tape off the gas gap area before painting.. you have paint all along the rim of the fill hole.. I hope you realize that the gas will over time eat away at that paint and you will get paint chips falling into your tank.. Im sure you got paint inside the tank as well. That could cause you some serious problems down the road.

Yah, I've been waiting on other stuff so I figured I might as well work on the body for now. It's gonna look good for a track rat.

How is that 2004 treating you? Curious, what differences you have noticed from 1 generation to the next.

They are night and day... The 2000-2003 750s were awesome. I loved my 2000 and 03 I raced... The 05 I had was just better all around. Easier to go faster and was smaller which helped a lot, too. The 06-07s are the same kind of step up from the 04-05s. The 08/09s are not as big a step, though...

Houston... you have a problem... Why didnt you tape off the gas gap area before painting.. you have paint all along the rim of the fill hole.. I hope you realize that the gas will over time eat away at that paint and you will get paint chips falling into your tank.. Im sure you got paint inside the tank as well. That could cause you some serious problems down the road.

Well the painting happened before I was ready for it. I'll clean it up with some thinner and sand paper and flush the tank out. I'll plug the hole before the next few coats too. That's probably the best I can do.

Well the painting happened before I was ready for it. I'll clean it up with some thinner and sand paper and flush the tank out. I'll plug the hole before the next few coats too. That's probably the best I can do.

I would imagine that you would be good with that.. I would also put some thinner inside the tank in case any pant got in there.

I would imagine that you would be good with that.. I would also put some thinner inside the tank in case any pant got in there.

Any ideas on what the best way to flush one of these tanks out is. I pumped the gas out and shook out as much as I could but it's hard to get all of the fluid out of the thing. Anyone have any special methods?