Got a track bike GSX-R750, tons of pics of preperation process

vw151

I will have to get some notes from ya lizard! I dont think he will be switching gearing before barber... but to get the right gearing for mid-ohio would be nice! This will be his first track day on that bike down at barber. He gotta learn that bike before gearing will really matter. Thanks for the offer of notes! Im sure he will want that info :)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's awesome!! someone shoulda called me... I'm bored and would LOVE to wrench on some bikes... I wanna ride SOOOOO bad rite now too.

Might be able to use some help Wednesday night. I'll let you know. About to send some cash for the rains BTW. Thanks those might come in very handy this weekend.

Ever need any notes, I got a book full of them. Raced that model from 2001-2003 and was VERY intimate with it. Watch a few things, but they were tanks and held up really well... Again, if you come to any STT events at Mid-Ohio or I can leave them with the boys at Pony, I have a book full of notes and gearing. I can tell ya gearing we ran at Barber back then, too...

Like yota said, prolly won't need them this weekend but I am interested in seeing/having them. I'd love to see what someone else has done with the bike. It seems this is a poplular track/race bike just getting old and being replaced by the newer generation bikes.

no valve problem. Just checking tolerances. They were in but close to needing shimmed. I'll probably shim them after barber.

No, no,, one of his 750's had a valve problem or gasket problem and he would keep getting black flagged at track days due to all the smoke.

Just wasnt sure if it was this bike or one of his others.

no flouder he got a good motor. Old smokey is still in my garage lol.

Ah, gotcha, you had so many bikes and motors its tough to keep them all straight.

Dont crash this bike Ray.. Clint told me you had some bad luck with your trailer recently. Sorry to hear.

I believe that is the motor he had in the silver frame. Either way I haven't had much chance to really ride this thing hard so we'll see. It seems fine when riding it up and down the street and the tolerances were good on this motor when we checked it. Sounds good at idle too. We'll see this weekend, but so far the motor seems solid. The rest of the bike was a little suspect but the motor seems good. I'm just thankful for all of my knowledgeable friends who have helped me go through the bike.

Ah, gotcha, you had so many bikes and motors its tough to keep them all straight.

Dont crash this bike Ray.. Clint told me you had some bad luck with your trailer recently. Sorry to hear.

LOL, This is Joe. I know you from the gym. Yah, Ray is still waiting on the insurance company. I understand the confusion though since I'm not in many of the pictures. That's just cause I'm the one taking them. Luckily he found a bike to ride at barber in the mean time.

I don't know if Ray is a member on this forum or not but if he was I'd guess his name to be proclivity.

not sure how I missed this thread...

congrats on the new ride! perfect track whore :)

Thanks man. Finally got it ready to go last night. It was totally ready for the track save for:

stripped oil drain plug hole.

missing crank case engine mount bolt

sticking brake caliper pistons due to someone painting the calipers and getting paint on the pistons.

loose front sprocket (loose enough to destroy the speedo pick up bolt)

and stripped preload adjustment on the left fork.

Not saying this bike was not a good deal for the money but it might have been just a tad unsafe in it's original configuration as apposed to "just needs tires and it's ready to go on the track." Sorry I'm a little peaved. We had the bike all together last night, were getting ready to set the sag and everything and realized that the forks were fubar. Lucky for me Robert has several gixxers so we swapped front ends with one that is totally set up for my weight and I'm gonna send the F-ed up forkes up to JD Horde to be rebuilt. I don't know what I'd do with out Robert, I mean, 2 days before we leave and he has a set up front end to swap for me. He's the man.

To whoever is reading this. Learn this lesson from me. Always go through used bikes you buy. Even if the previous owner tells you it's ready to go on the track as is. He may be wrong. He's probably not maliciously trying to send you out on a bike that might get you killed but he may be a careless person who doesn't care what the bike is like when it leaves his house. Not bashing anyone.... just sayin. The amount of stripped/missing bolts on this bike was pretty alarming when the bike was advertised as ready to ride on the track. Maybe these things didn't bother the previous owner and he felt it was "safe enough" to ride. To me, Engine mount bolts, sprockets, oil drain plugs and forks in particular are very important. Maybe I just value my personal health a little more than some others. I'm just lucky that I have enough knowledgeable people around to help me walk through these checks. Without them I fear I could have been hurt.

Anyway..... good news is. The bike is ready and we are loading the trailer for barber tonight and heading out in the morning. I'm sure I'll get a few more pictures up before I go.

Edited by vw151

Gixxie? You have anything to say?.... :popcorn:

Take it easy on him. I'm not looking to trash him. I'm sure he was just careless. Not that that is a good thing. The real point is that others should be aware that this can easily happen to them and how important it is to go through these things. I thought it was important before but having gone through this has really hit home on that point. Riding bikes and going to track days or even WERA racing is for fun, no sense in someone getting hurt because of something like this. If I'm gonna crash I want it to be because of my bad move on the track not because my chain came off and locked up the rear wheel unexpectedly at some ballistic speed on some race track. That is just not fun. I'm not afraid to take risks, I think most sport bike riders share that trait but going out on bunk machinery is just dumb.

Im not trying to trash him at all.. Just wondered if he had anything to say about it. I would think that he know about most of those problems. Especially the suspension issue since it was his track bike.

I hear ya. I am just trying avoid any flaming. Not saying you are trashing him. I think the story speaks for itself anyway.

I agree though. I'd have thought he might have known about some of the problems.

For the record i had just got off that bike from jennings. I do a quick look over on the bike befor i ride it,but never caught any of those things. The front sprocket has done that to me and many many other people and i didnt know it happend again. As for the forks thats just crazy? Do you mean the inside of the preload adjuster was stripped? Because the top bolt was in good condition and i raced those forks all over the counrty and never had that problem. Joe it is a used race bike and i'm sorry about any trouble you had with it,but it is a great bike for the $$$$. What i want to know is how you liked it this weekend?

Pics of the bike in sale condition

SBP_2563.jpg

l_f3edd336b00640f4b6158d52fadab5-1.jpg

The rear motor mount bolt was from removing the race railz.

Edited by gixxie750