Leaky tires, help!

Diamonds

Hello guys, i have a 2003 Cadillac CTS sport/lux with the 17 inch 7-bar polished wheels.

Its december (winter) and two (one last week, now one this week) of my tires have gone flat (one after another). The first one was noticeably low one night when i got home from work and was flat the next day. I took it off, took it to the gas station and filled it up and have had no loss of pressure since.... yet. Now another has virtually done the same thing.

My initial thought - I am wondering if i have TPMS??? i hear they can go bad....

Anyways:

I have done much research, here are some things i fould to consider.

Things to note:

1. it just got cold (winter just hit last week)

2. I dont know if i have TPMS, but if i did, i heard that the valve in the stems and the o-rings in the actual sensors need to be replaced, is this true?

3.once a tire gets low, its much easier for it to go flat quickly.

Please help, im getting new tires soon but i fear that wont fix the problem.

So i guess, here are my Questions:

1. can i remove the TPMS permanently without the light coming on?

2. could the TPMS be the cause? (orings etc)

3. does this hae anything to do with the winter?

4. has anyone else had/heard of cadillacs having these problems?

Thanks, Bob

any good tire shop should have a water tub for finding leaks you just put the whole wheel and tire in the water and look for bubbles....

its a gm so you probably have corrosion between the tire bead and the rim seat wich can be removed and sealed when your tires are replaced

I may have a bad TPMS on the Van. Checked all the pressures and they are equal at 35lbs but the light still won't go out. Am going to drive it for a couple days and if it's still on will call NTB / Dealer to determine who needs to replace it.

Hello guys, i have a 2003 Cadillac CTS sport/lux with the 17 inch 7-bar polished wheels.

Its december (winter) and two (one last week, now one this week) of my tires have gone flat (one after another). The first one was noticeably low one night when i got home from work and was flat the next day. I took it off, took it to the gas station and filled it up and have had no loss of pressure since.... yet. Now another has virtually done the same thing.

My initial thought - I am wondering if i have TPMS??? i hear they can go bad....

Anyways:

I have done much research, here are some things i fould to consider.

Things to note:

1. it just got cold (winter just hit last week)

2. I dont know if i have TPMS, but if i did, i heard that the valve in the stems and the o-rings in the actual sensors need to be replaced, is this true?

3.once a tire gets low, its much easier for it to go flat quickly.

Please help, im getting new tires soon but i fear that wont fix the problem.

So i guess, here are my Questions:

1. can i remove the TPMS permanently without the light coming on?

2. could the TPMS be the cause? (orings etc)

3. does this hae anything to do with the winter?

4. has anyone else had/heard of cadillacs having these problems?

Thanks, Bob

dont think you can turn it off for good but you can always take the 75- 100 sensors out of the wheels and put in regular stems and ignor the light

I may have a bad TPMS on the Van. Checked all the pressures and they are equal at 35lbs but the light still won't go out. Am going to drive it for a couple days and if it's still on will call NTB / Dealer to determine who needs to replace it.

dont take it to a dealer its a waste of money.. you can buy the sensor at any local store just need to make sure the shop ( ntb or whoever) has the tools to program the new sensor if it needs it... And I am sure ntb will with how many tires they do...

I agree with the other. Leaky bead.

I did have a tire while I was at school that the valve failed. I think water got in, and froze and let all the air out.

Just get them remounted basically

As far as TPMS goes there are usually 2 different kinds. One that goes off of wheel rotation. As a tire gets low it rotates at a different speed. The other kind is like a transmitter that measures the pressure and sends it to the computer.

My car has the latter, and with that system you can basically make a PVC 'bomb' with a schrader valve in it that you can put all the sensors in, pressurize, and place in the trunk.... no more light.

I just run my winter setup with the dash light on... I get used to it.

heres the best DIY ive found

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1714077&postcount=20

any good tire shop should have a water tub for finding leaks you just put the whole wheel and tire in the water and look for bubbles....

its a gm so you probably have corrosion between the tire bead and the rim seat wich can be removed and sealed when your tires are replaced

This.

No point in speculating or suggesting removing the tires and cleaning the bead before a check has been done. While that's likely the case, take the wheels to a shop and have them checked. If you don't want to take them anywhere, try dunking them in a kiddie pool.

If you don't have a kiddie pool or something else, just do it with soapy water. Make yourself a nice soapy mixture in a spray bottle then spray it all over the wheel(s). You will be able to see the bubbles forming if the leak is large enough.

This.

No point in speculating or suggesting removing the tires and cleaning the bead before a check has been done. While that's likely the case, take the wheels to a shop and have them checked. If you don't want to take them anywhere, try dunking them in a kiddie pool.

If you don't have a kiddie pool or something else, just do it with soapy water. Make yourself a nice soapy mixture in a spray bottle then spray it all over the wheel(s). You will be able to see the bubbles forming if the leak is large enough.

Windex :)

Before you ask them to replace it, ask if it has a way to reset it. Some systems run their tpms with the ECU instead of Body monitor so the only way to turn of the tpms light is to reset the trouble codes. Some places will just replace and charge instead of investigate when it comes to tpms, i know my manager at Tire Discounters has done that.

TPMS sensors can leak, but I'd lean more towards a poorly-sealed bead or a tire that's contracted due to the cold weather and is leaking around the bead. GM wheels are notoriously bad for corrosion on the inside of the wheel, which can cause a poor seal and bead leaks.

The only way to really tell is to dunk the wheel(s) and look for a leak. Set up an appointment with us at NTB downtown sometime this week and we'll get you taken care of.