Military guys I have a tough decision..

dover

Thanks guys for all the help very helpful information. I think I am going to take the AFAST and go WOCS and try and fly. I think it will b a job that I not only enjoy while I'm serving (for how ever long that may be) but also in the civilian sector. I really do appreciate all the helpful information though. Thanks allot guys.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, if I were you, I would stay enlisted, get your degree, and get an officer slot. Fuck WOCs or whatever, go make some real money and retire when you are 40, pulling O-5 or O-6 retirement pay til you die.

Plus there have to be some sick enlisted to officer programs in the army. I hear they are killing for officers right now. Most people make captain and get the hell out. Idk why.

That's because you go through a lot of SHIT and people get sick of it. If you plan on having a family it's rough when you have quick rotations deployed and gone a LOT....

Had a blast when I was single, got married found a better gig....got out and loving life! :cool:

My name is Mr. Tindall, and I am a wo1 waiting to start flight school.

I have been through wocs if you are e-5 or above it is 4 weeks. You won't fail, it is taking a few test and getting smoked for a few hours on the first week. Wocs is gravy. Drill Sergeant school was way better! Your a combatatives instructor, I am sure you will be fine!

It will take you on average 18 to 24 months to complete flight school. Then you will still receive more training to achieve Pilot in command status.

Being a WO is sweet, and the pay raise is nice! Go for it man! If you need any help lmk as I am at good old Ft Rucker now! I also have a really good study book for the AFAST. I scored a 147!

Any other questions... ask.

My name is Mr. Tindall, and I am a wo1 waiting to start flight school.

I have been through wocs if you are e-5 or above it is 4 weeks. You won't fail, it is taking a few test and getting smoked for a few hours on the first week. Wocs is gravy. Drill Sergeant school was way better! Your a combatatives instructor, I am sure you will be fine!

It will take you on average 18 to 24 months to complete flight school. Then you will still receive more training to achieve Pilot in command status.

Being a WO is sweet, and the pay raise is nice! Go for it man! If you need any help lmk as I am at good old Ft Rucker now! I also have a really good study book for the AFAST. I scored a 147!

Any other questions... ask.

Small world! Thanks for the information. I am about to do my pre-physical here and send it down to Rucker. Once that is approved I can go forward with WOCS. What study guide did you use? I picked up from Barnes and Noble "Baron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests Study Guide" It has allot of information but it also is for the three different flight tests. I really want to score high on the AFAST to set myself out from others applying for the same position. As far as physically WOCS is of no concern to me, haha. Any thing you think I should know or advice? Appreciated it Mr. Tindall.

Oh also I have been trying to research what is the promotion rate for a WO1 in Aviation? I heard it is slower then the normal WO rate for technicians.

Last I checked you make cw2 automatically after two years. Thought there are rumors being thrown around that you won't get it until after you finish flight school.

The last I heard I think the promotion to cw3 for flight was around 60 percent?

I think cw4 was around 40? Not too sure on those numbers.

I also sent you a PM!

I am going to hold off for the time being, if I dont get picked up for WOCS my first look I will probably go. Ranger tab does nothing for me being a pilot. We will see.

Get WLC done as soon as you can, it makes things go so much smoother. Might send a message to Joe (Mojoe) as he could be a great resource if you haven't been.

Not saying anything against Rangers, I know quite a few as close personal friends and am a co-partner in a tactical training company with a couple others, but I've found that while they excel in the military, quite a few seem to have a hard time with their careers/lives once they get out. Dunno what it is, just seems to be something.

Stay flight, it'll serve you well in civilian life - even if you don't go into civil aviation.

I flew in the Navy and don't fly now but the experience has still helped me immensely in my career.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal

You won't regret it...

I am thinking of post military careers and being a bomb tech doesn

t sound appealing to me. To each there own. I know they are hurting so bad for them in the Army there is a $50k bonus for NCO's willing to reclass and sign 48 months with EOD.

I'd go with the Helo position.

The great thing about the rotor pilot training is that when you're done you can jump to fixed wing very easily. Like was said earlier, there are a fair amount of helo jobs to be had in the civilian world, and 80% of those jobs go to military guys because civilian helo training is really expensive. The fixed wing pilot market is down right now but it will pick up in the next few years. You'll be in prime position for either fixed/rotor when you want out. I can't say it's the best career for family life, but it sure beats the hell out of sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day.

I am thinking of post military careers and being a bomb tech doesnt sound appealing to me. To each there own. I know they are hurting so bad for them in the Army there is a $50k bonus for NCO's willing to reclass and sign 48 months with EOD.

There is a reason for that....