Lettuce Discuss: BL GT vs. B5 W8 Wagon

Patterson

My

What about a C5 A6 2.7T?

Allroad 2.7T?

Both come in manual.

Good candidate, but when the turbos go that's a huge expense.

LGT if it were me. VW W8 Wagon is kinda different cool, but I wouldn't want to deal with any repairs on that baby.

At least with the Subi you could even do just mild mods, have plenty of power and reliability.

Cost will be ugly, no matter what. It'll hopefully stay stock. I don't need the wife doing 60 rolls on 270.

I've had my B5 V6 Passat since new, over 102k miles on it now.

Do NOT get a W8.

Is that the 3.0L?

My

Good candidate, but when the turbos go that's a huge expense.

The 2.7T engine is not known to blow turbo's in the A6. Only when stuffing the rather large engine in the tiny A4 engine bay, cooking the turbo's, was it a problem.

Is that the 3.0L?

2.8L

Dodged a bullet there Patterson, thank the sweet baby jesus.

If you end up test driving an LGT feel free to bring it by the shop for a look-see on the lift, I've heard lots of good things about the lesbian grand tourer and would love a fist hand, err, first hand look.

Where did you find this thing anyway, Link ?

http://www.eliteautogroupllc.com/web/1449/vehicle/548090/2003-Volkswagen-Passat-W8

When I'm told the motor has to be pulled for O2 sensors. I hit the brakes in a bad way. Goofy noises from the tranny, the tires were done for. MFA was F'd up. And the sweet smell of burnt oil through the vents after a 30 minute drive. While it only had 89K on it. It had been run into the ground. Oh how I would have loved to have it.

Dodged a bullet there Patterson, thank the sweet baby jesus.

If you end up test driving an LGT feel free to bring it by the shop for a look-see on the lift, I've heard lots of good things about the lesbian grand tourer and would love a fist hand, err, first hand look.

No Suby either. As per my usual shitty timing, the GTI is going away this weekend so I had no time to play around. She's just going to get it before Christmas.

In the end I bought the 6. Higher mileage, but it had a stack of service records in the glove box. It needs a wheel bearing, which they are fixing. I'm amazed.

It'll be a good car for making sandwich supply runs. And I'll have it paid off in a year and a half. I possibly could be back to my winning ways...

Their reliability "rumors" stem from the same place 1.8T reliability "rumors" come from. Poor oil change intervals with crap oil.

Their cam tensioners have micro fine mesh filters in them that get clogged easily and cause the tensioners to need to be replaced. Replacing the tensioners = Remove engine & tranny from car, separate and go at it.

There are plenty of W8's in the 100k+ range with no problems thanks to the owners changing the oil every 3-5K with good synthetic.

W8's suck. Every one I've seen come through the dealership I work at shop door has had major issues. No one takes care of these things because they're hogs. You would be better off with an abused B5 S4 avant, and have more fun.

The Leg GT gets my vote for sure, unless you go B5 S4... This coming from a VWAG guy...

http://photos.ecarlist.com/7l/ZE/ej/Cy/kW/1q/kl/Aw/gh/ob/fg_640.jpg

http://www.eliteautogroupllc.com/web/1449/vehicle/725159/2004-Mazda-MAZDA6-i

Flame away gents. Not a bad little car. If it was a stick I'd keep it for myself. I need to address the horrendous wheel gap though. I've been under the impression that Mazda has taken aim squarely at VW buyers. Similar styles, in my opinion, not nearly as nice interiors. Similar handling dynamics.