2001 monte carlo ss electrical

Dave1647545494

trying to help out a friend car had a no crank issue they had the starter off and half torn apart before i got there went ahead and swapped out the starter for new one. car started ran for about 30 seconds and died, now have no power anywhere in the car except the check engine light comes on when the key is in the run position. I'm thing maybe the ignition switch died, but wasn't sure if there was some kind of anti theft relearn I had to do if the battery was disconnected

thanks

Dave

if by kill the power you mean no crank no start then yes. i always replace the ignition switch with the pass lock sensor.

10 min relearn if your lucky. if not than 30 min relearn. 10 min key off when the security light goes off back on for 10 then off again then back on for 10 then should restart.

if by kill the power you mean no crank no start then yes. i always replace the ignition switch with the pass lock sensor.

10 min relearn if your lucky. if not than 30 min relearn. 10 min key off when the security light goes off back on for 10 then off again then back on for 10 then should restart.

as usual AJ knows what he's talking about, beat me to it.

If there isn't a bad connection with your battery cables, see if you've got power at the fuseable links, Right side of the engine compartment, forward of the strut tower, bolted to a stud on the right side of the underhood juction block, they're also on the starter.

You should be tracing power down the circuit, and making sure your grounds are intact. Thats how I'd go after it.

this is a common problem i know a guy that has replaced the ingintion box in one of these things about 3 or 4 times and every time he has to take it to a chevy dealer and pay about 150 bucks to have it programed not to mention the tow fee.