correcting a speedo for larger tires.

evan9381

i thought a while back i saw something about changing out a speedometer gear for one with more or less teeth to get the speedo correct in my explorer somewhere online. gettnig to the point driving it more that i'd like to get it corrected if its a cheap part and not hard to do

the tires that came on the truck when i got it are BFG all-terrain t/a's, 30x9.5x15. the stock tire size as noted in the door is a 225/70-15.

looking online, if what ive found is correct, the 30x9.5 comes up to around a 265/75, and is reading 12% too slow. thats a good bit. lol

so do i need a speedo gear with one tooth more, one tooth less, or more than one tooth in either way?

TIA

I just use my GPS speed.... went from a 30" to a 32"...it'd be nice to have it corrected but never bother investigating it on my truck as my truck's so ass-weird there's probably not a known way to do it.

i found a GPS app for my android phone and tried it, but even with the speedo at one speed (65 IIRC), the GPS program said i was doing anything from 58 to 74. lol