Question for Tax Savvy Guys

Benner

Got a letter from The City of Delaware today stating that I am Past Due for the 2009 year. I didn't claim anything because I was in school full time and only got a job at the end of November and Grossed a total of $1,197.14. Only $18.56 of that is Delaware City Tax.

So my question is how should I go about getting this taken care of since I didn't file any tax returns at all.

You can backfile up to 3 yrs I think. You should file you'll get free money. I've never done the backfile process and only heard about people doing it. Usually situations just like yours, young, not really having a job and not really thinking it matters.

Call the city and find out who to send the check to and problem is solved, they won't know about the other taxes you didn't file if you wanna do it that way.

I know a bit about taxes, but am by no means a tax accountant, I simply do my own for my family, investments, and business. This comes with a lot of reading on the IRS site so I pick up things.

If your parent/s stopped claiming you at some point than you may want to file back to that point, you could be surprised how much you get back. I'm not sure if theres an amount you have to work and earn to get money back, but I do know that if you didn't work much than you aren't going to owe anything and are likely to be owed a lot of money from all us fulltime tax payers via the .gov:-) personally I'd rather you get the money than let you leave it in the .gov's hands.

Regional Income Tax Assoc. They are in charge of collecting city taxes for alot of ohio cities. They are a big pain in the ass. They cover Reynoldsburg and they hit us up several times a year asking for payment even though we are always paid up. I think they try to get people who dont know any better to double pay.

Wait, are you saying you never even filed anything? All Delaware residents are required to file annual city income tax returns, even if no tax is due. This includes anyone temporarily living away from home such as college students, teachers, etc.

They probably checked the records for everyone claiming to be a resident and realized there was no claim filed to your name.