Stereo wiring harness question

prettyprix

I have a pioneer head unit that I want to hook up in my new car. My new car has a kenwood already in it, it also has the steering wheel controls and some lights above the radio...anyways a mess of wires, kind of confusing. They are both 16 pin connectors, and it looks like all of the wires match up. Will the kenwood wiring harness work in the pioneer?

Wiring harness' are suppose to be specific to a vehicle. I know years ago certain HU required their own specific plugs but there was talk of making things universal. I dont know if this ever happened. If the power, ground and remote wires are in the same location, I dont see why it wouldnt work. I am sure there will be others who have hooked up newer vehicles will have more insight.

Wiring harness' are suppose to be specific to a vehicle. I know years ago certain HU required their own specific plugs but there was talk of making things universal. I dont know if this ever happened. If the power, ground and remote wires are in the same location, I dont see why it wouldnt work. I am sure there will be others who have hooked up newer vehicles will have more insight.

both cars are 2000 grand prixs, so i know they're the same on that end lol

Chances are if done professionally, one of them has the adapter which plugs the aftermarket harness into the vehicles factory harness. Hopefully whoever installed these went with the adapter vs. cutting into the factory harness. I would take out the unit you want to replace and see how they hooked it up. If its not hacked together you can always go get the adapter. This makes for a very quick/easy install.

I did the pioneer myself, which I took out of my other car. The kenwood the previous owner did. Both have the adapter that goes into the wiring harness on the car. I guess my only issue is that there are a few other things hooked up between the adapter and the kenwood wiring harness. If i could just plug the kenwood harness into the pioneer HU it would make it way easier. Both the kenwood and the pioneer look the same where they plug into the back of the HU