Sprint Smartphone people

XChris1632X

Im looking into finally upgrading to a smart phone. It is a toss between the Evo and the Samsung Epic. My last two phones have had full keyboards and I like the keyboards. I am not sold on texting or typing on a touchscreen yet. I have read online reviews of the phone but I am looking for personal experience and opinion with each phone or both. I am new to smartphones and android software so my knowlege is limited.

I've had the Epic for a couple months, and have used the Evo a few times as well. You can't go wrong with either phone really, I went with the Epic because I like having a physical keyboard for typing out long emails when I'm away from home. They are both great phones, both have 4G. Just go to the Sprint store at Easton and use both phones side by side to see what you like best.

One plus on the Epic is that it has a Super AMOLED screen, which when set next to the Evo you will see an incredible difference in brightness and contrast. However you pay for that when trying to use it in direct sunlight.

Epic has a keyboard

Evo stays way more updated on the OS

Evo seems to have a bit higher quality hardware, with the exception if the screen, although I have been quite pleased with my screen.

Of course, you could wait a couple months for the phone that is basically an Evo with a keyboard.

I would not trade my EVO for anything. My boss has the Epic and I have played with it. It's nice as well. I say to make the choice between the two...what type of keyboard do you want. Other than that, i'd say they are pretty much even. Oh, besides the screen size.

EVo, evo, evo. Or wait til Jan 9 and get the updated Evo Shift or so they call it for now. Basically an evo with a physical keyboard and smaller screen. I love the evo and the roms available and support is better than ANY phone on the market. INB4IPHONENUTSWINGERS

It literally comes down to how important a hardware keyboard is to you. I have an Evo, my boss has an Epic. They are both great phones. I personally prefer the slim profile of a slate phone. That and every springloaded slideout phone I've ever had eventually became sloppier in regards to the action of the keyboard sliding out. Or in the worst case (my Pre, which I otherwise loved), the upper half became very loose, and could almost twist.

Tell me more!

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-shift-4g-gets-pictured

Looks like a slightly smaller screen. My thoughts on a physical keyboard - its a 50/50 tradeoff. Typing on an on-screen keyboard feels annoying and slow to me, but slider phones always feel clunky and fragile. Only compromise with that is something like a blackberry with a keyboard in the front, but then you sacrifice screen size which isn't worth it to me, but would be to someone that is typing on it constantly.

Get rid of Sprint. It is total shit.

Did Sprint come to your house and put it in your butt or something? I swear I've seen 30 posts from you talking about how bad Sprint is. I've had them for years with no issues, the plans are cheap, service is great (Columbus and Cleveland, only two cities I've lived in). Just wondering what it is that has you so pissed off at Sprint. They've changed for the better over the last couple years.

Did Sprint come to your house and put it in your butt or something? I swear I've seen 30 posts from you talking about how bad Sprint is. I've had them for years with no issues' date=' the plans are cheap, service is great (Columbus and Cleveland, only two cities I've lived in). Just wondering what it is that has you so pissed off at Sprint. They've changed for the better over the last couple years.[/quote']

I have had Sprint for over 7 years as my work phone. Used it all throughout Franklin and Delaware counties, and it is total shit. I've had a pile of phones with them (Samsung i350, i500, Treo 600, 650, 700, 750, Palm Centro and Pro, HTC phone, and now my Blackberry Tour). What has been consistent is the dropped calls, lack of signal where AT&T and Verizon had great signal, poor data performance, and shit customer service when I have needed them.

Sure they have improved. They have at least fixed the total dead spots in several areas of Columbus, and some of the other issues don't happen as often as they once did. But they still happen where I don't have that issue with Verizon or AT&T. Sprint = garbage. They are cheap, and that is the only thing they have going for them.

For some reason I still can't decide. It sounds like I really couldnt go wrong either way. I havent heard one thing that really sends me to think one is better than the other. I would almost rather have the evo but its just the keyboard that is keeping me from commiting. That new evo shift looks to be lacking a bit. Im in no rush to get one so I will prob just sleep on it a little longer. I feel like the evo is slightly better as far as expandability and software.

For some reason I still can't decide. It sounds like I really couldnt go wrong either way. I havent heard one thing that really sends me to think one is better than the other. I would almost rather have the evo but its just the keyboard that is keeping me from commiting. That new evo shift looks to be lacking a bit. Im in no rush to get one so I will prob just sleep on it a little longer. I feel like the evo is slightly better as far as expandability and software.

The Evo gets the android updates quicker because it's an HTC phone. Samsung has been total shit at getting out the 2.2 Froyo update to the Epic (and all the other Galaxy S phones in America). Evo screen is 0.3 inches bigger than Epic, but Epic screen is much better looking.

If you go to the store to test them, try out the Swype keyboard. For sending texts, it's really great if you get used to it. Basically just trace out a line over the letters spelling the word you want, picks the right word 95 percent of the time. If you plan on using the phone to send out long emails though, I'd recommend having a real keyboard.

When I was upgrading my phone, I was in the same boat as you. I ended up just going to the store and within 20 minutes of trying both phones it was an easy decision for me.

The Evo gets the android updates quicker because it's an HTC phone. Samsung has been total shit at getting out the 2.2 Froyo update to the Epic (and all the other Galaxy S phones in America). Evo screen is 0.3 inches bigger than Epic, but Epic screen is much better looking.

If you go to the store to test them, try out the Swype keyboard. For sending texts, it's really great if you get used to it. Basically just trace out a line over the letters spelling the word you want, picks the right word 95 percent of the time. If you plan on using the phone to send out long emails though, I'd recommend having a real keyboard.

When I was upgrading my phone, I was in the same boat as you. I ended up just going to the store and within 20 minutes of trying both phones it was an easy decision for me.

+1 on the updates. I am still waiting for 2.2 and I just purchased my Galaxy a few weeks ago. I was also unsure when I went to the store and comparing them side by side is what made my decision for me.

+1 on the updates. I am still waiting for 2.2 and I just purchased my Galaxy a few weeks ago. I was also unsure when I went to the store and comparing them side by side is what made my decision for me.

I installed the leaked test version of 2.2 a week ago when it was supposedly the "official leaked release". Turns out it was just a test version and my GPS currently won't work, and Wi-fi chooses random days when it wants to work. I'm annoyed by the fact that 2.3 is out now and we STILL don't have 2.2, but I'd rather they take the time to make it work right before releasing it.

i love my Samsung Moment, and have been debating which phone to move on to, or wait it out.

my phone has an AMOLED screen, and it's great, the EPIC has a Super AMOLED screen.

my problem with Samsung isn't the updating, i can find those and do it myself.

it's the HORRIBLE GPS lock on my phone, and on the Galaxy s line, from what i've heard.

so i'm leaning toward the EVO

i love my Samsung Moment, and have been debating which phone to move on to, or wait it out.

my phone has an AMOLED screen, and it's great, the EPIC has a Super AMOLED screen.

my problem with Samsung isn't the updating, i can find those and do it myself.

it's the HORRIBLE GPS lock on my phone, and on the Galaxy s line, from what i've heard.

so i'm leaning toward the EVO

It must not be on all their phones, because GPS worked great on my Epic right out of the box, and they came out with an update that fixed it on most other carriers. The only reason mine is broken now is because I'm running a test version of 2.2 and I'm too lazy to switch back right now.