Tow Rig Options

coltboostin

Need everyone options BASED ON FACTS please- Looking for a long distance tow rig. Looking for 2wd, Extend cab is a must. Was considering Ford Powerstoke, but I see nothing but issue with the tranns in the cars. Would prefer Diesel. Anything else is optional. Biggest concerns

1) Reliability

2)Cost effective

4)Gas Milege

3)RELIABILITY

First Choice- 5 speed 3500 Cummins. Mid-late 90's.

-Pro-bullet proof

-20mpg

cons-Price! Cant find them cheap

-Interior (who cares)

Second-late 90's Ford Powerstorke-

Pro-you can find them cheap

Super comfy

Cons-trans issues in the Automatics

Worse MPG than reported

Third Chevy 3500- Duramax

Pro-cheaper than dodge

4L80E-

cons-???? You tell me!

Also considering-Chevy 3500 w/ gas 454. Seem to be fairly bullet proof.

Pro-I know gas motors

Cons-MPG

You guys tell me! help me out here

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to go big if theres a chance you will need it. Better to need it and have it rather than need it and not. The only issue is if you can justify the added expense of power for the duration of the time you dont need it. Since price is a factor, search diesel on craigslist and you will get a ton of them in your range.

good luch buying an extended cab diesel for 5k.

and the older chevy's werent duramax's they were 6.5l's. their junk.

you best bet to find a 90-92 12v 5-spd cummins.

I have about 10 within 60 miles at $3500 and below obo. The one I am most interested in is a 1997 Ford. 210k, no rust, factory serviced with all receipts asking $3000. 2wd, but auto. If it was a 5 speed I would have picked it up that day, but Ford autos at this point scares me.

Who made the 6.5 Chevy motors? When did the duramax come in? What about the 454?

I have about 10 within 60 miles at $3500 and below obo. The one I am most interested in is a 1997 Ford. 210k, no rust, factory serviced with all receipts asking $3000. 2wd, but auto. If it was a 5 speed I would have picked it up that day, but Ford autos at this point scares me.

Who made the 6.5 Chevy motors? When did the duramax come in? What about the 454?

duramax

2001-2003 lb7

2003.5-2005 lly

2006-2007.5 lbz

2007.5-2009 lmm

2010 lmn

can't beat an old 454. won't pass a gas station, but solid trucks.

If you go with the Cummins just put a pressure light on the supply to the injection pump. That will tell you if the lift pump goes out, thats really the main thing for reliability.

Good luck on your search. I started looking for a rig in the 5-7k range and ended up justifying an 03-04 because the cab is a true quad cab and high pressure common rail fuel system.

Better to go big if theres a chance you will need it. Better to need it and have it rather than need it and not. The only issue is if you can justify the added expense of power for the duration of the time you dont need it. Since price is a factor, search diesel on craigslist and you will get a ton of them in your range.

Thats what I'm saying. And thats why Im no longer shy about a Gas motor (mpg will only be an issue a few times a year) And I'll save what, $100 a trip MAYBE?

Biggest thing is reliability.