Remember renting vs buying debates?

NinjaNick

If I still live in my house 30 years from now, my house payment will STILL be just the same as it is, now. Meanwhile, all the "renting is better" people will be paying $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. 31 years from now, they'll be paying $1500 a month and I'll have a clear deed. Assuming ridiculous government spending continues, I MIGHT be paying at most $1000 a month in property taxes and condo fees. That said, I could still decide to move, sell the place, and get some return on investment. Not the best, but it's steady. I know what my house payment will be in 5, 10, or 25 years. If I want to pay it off early, it's easy to figure out how. Renting, not so much.

Of course, 30 years from now, Dublin could be like the area around Westland mall is, now.

Edited by redrocket04

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A house is not an investment.

There's good and bad investments in all markets. You just have to work a little to find the good ones.

If I knew I was being stationed here for another 4-5 years Id probably buy a short-sell condo right now. I would have no problems finding a market to rent to. It would be an excellent investment.

On another note...read somewhere in the thread about a 7% return on stocks per year. Dear lord, if any of yall are only making 7% youre not working hard enough looking for good companies to invest in.