Official App Thread iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

dover

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Ive been thinkin about rooting mine to run a stripped down OS. I cant stand how things run in the background without me opening apps. Advanced task killer kills the processes for only a few minutes.

:yuno: Y U running advance task killer?!

What's running in the background that keeps opening?

:yuno: Y U running advance task killer?!

What's running in the background that keeps opening?

facebook, maps, nova, gps navigator, gmail, foot prints.

I close em out yet they somehow start up again.

What do you suggest in place of ATK?

i have zero apps installed because of this.

facebook, maps, nova, gps navigator, gmail, foot prints.

I close em out yet they somehow start up again.

What do you suggest in place of ATK?

i have zero apps installed because of this.

The apps aren't actually starting. Facebook runs a process and/or a service to keep everything updated. Same with maps and gmail, don't know what nova is, gps navigator sounds like bloatware, Footprints is some bullshit that runs on sense that I forget what it does.

DON'T USE AN APP KILLER. Those are normal processes, and android manages it by itself perfectly. Just let it be.

The apps aren't actually starting. Facebook runs a process and/or a service to keep everything updated. Same with maps and gmail, don't know what nova is, gps navigator sounds like bloatware, Footprints is some bullshit that runs on sense that I forget what it does.

DON'T USE AN APP KILLER. Those are normal processes, and android manages it by itself perfectly. Just let it be.

Okay, thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone recommend an app to make a full backup of an android phone to a desktop PC without rooting the phone? Ideally I'd like to get in the habit of making weekly full backups in the event I need to replace the phone I can restore all the data stored in it. I have a Motorola Photon if it matters. Looks like the version is 2.3.4

Does anyone recommend an app to make a full backup of an android phone to a desktop PC without rooting the phone? Ideally I'd like to get in the habit of making weekly full backups in the event I need to replace the phone I can restore all the data stored in it. I have a Motorola Photon if it matters. Looks like the version is 2.3.4

Titanium backup works good but I think that requires root. Your contacts and apps will be backed up to your gmail account, there are apps out there that will back up text messages. What else would you want to back up?

Titanium backup works good but I think that requires root. Your contacts and apps will be backed up to your gmail account, there are apps out there that will back up text messages. What else would you want to back up?

Yeah, I'm thinking more about the application data that is being stored locally. For instance I use an app called acar to keep track of my vehicle records. The information is only stored locally and if I were to loose or replace my phone I would loose those records.

I know I can probably copy them off the phone using a docking cradle or cord. I was thinking though with the way the industry is moving to mobile devices that there would be a good way to do a complete backup, not just a sync. Since the phone is only 16 gigs and I'm not even using all of that storing a copy of it on my PC is no big deal, and it would be so much easier to just do a full backup and be done with it than pick and choose individual pieces parts.

Yeah, I'm thinking more about the application data that is being stored locally. For instance I use an app called acar to keep track of my vehicle records. The information is only stored locally and if I were to loose or replace my phone I would loose those records.

I know I can probably copy them off the phone using a docking cradle or cord. I was thinking though with the way the industry is moving to mobile devices that there would be a good way to do a complete backup, not just a sync. Since the phone is only 16 gigs and I'm not even using all of that storing a copy of it on my PC is no big deal, and it would be so much easier to just do a full backup and be done with it than pick and choose individual pieces parts.

Application data like that should be stored on your SD card. I bet there's a folder on there that contains a text file with all your vehicle info. Simply copying it from the SD card over to your PC will work as a backup in case you lose your phone.

Just did a quick read, looks like the Photon doesn't come with an SD card, so you'd have to put one in yourself, then you have to go into settings>>Storage and change your storage location. Christ, this is why vanilla android is better, hasn't been assraped by manufacturers.

Application data like that should be stored on your SD card. I bet there's a folder on there that contains a text file with all your vehicle info. Simply copying it from the SD card over to your PC will work as a backup in case you lose your phone.

Just did a quick read, looks like the Photon doesn't come with an SD card, so you'd have to put one in yourself, then you have to go into settings>>Storage and change your storage location. Christ, this is why vanilla android is better, hasn't been assraped by manufacturers.

Cool, I assumed I could do something like that, but I had hoped there would be some simple way to take a complete snapshot full backup of the phone. My students and I were talking about backups and disaster recovery one morning and one of the guys asked me about phones and tablets. I had never really thought about it until then, but since a lot of business people are moving their computing platforms toward mobile devices I hoped there would be some simple solution for their IT department to make periodic backups.

BTW, the I do have an SD card installed in my photon. I assume they don't package one with it because of price. For that matter I'm glad they didn't because they would have put a 2gig or something else small in there. I had an 8gig from my old phone so I used it. The slot is not accessible from the outside though and the back panel is a pain to get off.

Thanks for the information.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been hooked on Oregon Trail: American Settler for iPad for months... And Simpsons Tapped out for over a couple years lol they are both free and Oregon trail can be used offline which is nice.

Also, if jail broken.... You probably already know Pandora Downloader. Best reason for jail breaking. Unlimited skips and download all that music.