Official App Thread iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

dover

Keep this simple:

Application - Category - What it works for - Price - Brief Summary

Example:

Angry Birds - Game - iPad/iPhone/iPod/Android - $0.99 - Addicting; easy to play; multiple levels; I recommend.

Don't gum this up with biased personal opinions regarding another members post. This can be a helpful way to get the best use of our devices.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HippoRemote - Utility - iOS - $4.99 - If you use Boxee, XBMC, Windows Media Center, or any other media center application, this is a MUST BUY.

LogMeIn Ignition - Remote Desktop Utility - iOS/Android/Windows - $20.00 - Allows you to remote to your machine from anywhere in the world, has saved my ass on multiple occasions. Was far more expensive when I originally bought it ($35), very much worth the price tag.

Netflix - Streaming Video - iOS/Android next year - Free - Watching Netflix instant on your iOS device. Sucks down the battery though, so have a charger near by.

.: Jailbroken iOS device only Apps :.

MyWi - WiFi and USB tethering - $20 on Cydia - Not much to say here, it works flawlessly. Also, thanks to GSM, you can also still use the phone and all of its functions while tethered.

My3G - 'WiFi only' bypass - $4 on Cydia - Lets you watch high quality YouTube videos when not on a WiFi connection. Also lets you do Facetime, download large Apps, and do many other things that are 'restricted' to WiFi only.

Flashlight - Utility - Free on Cydia - The original Flashlight app that was removed from the App store because it hacked the brightness of the phone. Far, far, far brighter than anything you will find in the App store. Should probably be one of the first things you download after jailbreaking your phone.

SBSettings - Utility - Free on Cydia - Swipe your finger over the carrier logo on the phone, and a menu drops down giving you instant control over several parts of the phone. IE Turning your radios on and off, one touch shutdown/reboot/respring, can also install other modules to it to control other Cydia apps. Also shows you the memory usage, and gives you a task killer to close anything eating up memory. This should be the first thing you download after jailbreaking your phone, no questions asked.

Dexter: The Game - Game - iOS - Free (Installous + Jailbreak) - Basically you play half of the first season of Dexter. It is a very well done game. A must for any fan of the show.

Chase - Banking - iOS/Android - Free - Online banking. You can also deposit checks with your phone, which is a HUGE plus

Ebay - Shopping - iOS/Android - Free - The Ebay ap is very well done. Also get push notifications for when auctions are ending = never miss an auction again. I use this ap a lot.

Winterboard - Utilites - iOS - Free (through Cydia) - Utility that allows you to reskin your phone, plus some other functionality.

Pandora Skip Hack - Utilities - iOS (not Android from what I'm nold) - Free (Cydia) - Utility that modifies your Pandora so that you are now 100% commercial free AND get unlimited fast forwards. It is awesome, works flawlessly.

TomTom - GPS - iOS/Android (I think Android) - Free (Installous) - GPS software. I've tried a bunch of the expensive ones, Motion GPS, Navigon, etc...this one has the best POI and accurate maps. Navigon has a better interface and looks nicer, but in the end, maps and POI are the most important thing, and the TomTom is where it is at.

Slingplayer - Video - iOS/Android - Free (Installous) - Lets you watch your Slingbox

PhoneFlicks - Netflix utility - iOS/Android (not sure on Android) - Free - let's you do some stuff that is harder/impossible to do with the Netflix ap. This ap was out before Netflix even had one, and I suggest having both aps.

IMDb - Movie Database - iOS/Android - Free - Just like their website, but works very well for a mobile device.

pic2shop - Shopping - iOS/Android (maybe Android) - Free - Scan bar codes, then it will search Amazon, Buy.com, and a few other places for the item. Great shopping tool, can save you a fortune.

Plus others mentioned in previous posts, and a pile of other stuff I have as well (Facebook, GoSkyWatch, iTriage, ESPN Score Center, Sleep Machine, Angry Birds/Angry Birgs Holiday edition, 3 Sudoko games, tons of board/video games, etc.)

I have a Droid 2 global, am unsure of what is iPoop compatible or not so I am only listing for android devices, these are a couple apps I've run into so far that I use quite often.

Astro File Utility - Utility app. - FREE -tool used to install .apk files you transfer to your phone from your computer

Applanet - like market but more applications - FREE - applanet.com (will have to register)

Audiogalaxy- music -FREE - audiogalaxy.com will sync the music on your computer and stream it to your phone... only downside is this streams so it will suck down battery faster than adding the music files to your phone. But saves phone memory. *Note, just noticed not all of my music from my "My music" folder was not added to the playlist....?

Barcode scanner - shopping/application finding - FREE - scans barcodes on products and pulls up internet pricing, also will scan QR barcodes that lots of application websites use.

ConvertPad - conversion tool - FREE - input a number and it gives you conversions for just about everything you could need. Comes in handy at work when I'm converting nm torques to lb/ft.

DroidLight - duh - FREE - tried lots of different ones, this one has been the best one that is for just plain light using the camera flash.

Google Translate - translation - FREE - Once again I use this for work because lots of shit is German.

GPS Tracker - gps location - FREE - will have to create an account, but once installed works well with an app I'll list "Where's my Droid" if I lose my phone I can send a text to it via google voice or someone elses phone to manually turn on the GPS signal then use wheres my droid app to send me gps coordinates of my phone then turn GPS back off. Pretty slick.

Ringdroid - ringtone generator - FREE - edit the music you have on your phone to make them your own personal ring tones.

Speedview Free - driving - FREE - fun app just to dork around with. Gives you "0-60" times and "1/4 mile" times for when you're out driving on a closed course. Also gives you heading, speed, altitude, trip, can even give you a heads up display that you lay your phone on your dash and reflects up onto the windshield.

Stopwatch & Timer - stopwatch - FREE - My blackberry didn't have a stopwatch, and I didn't think I would ever need one but there have been a few times where I've come across the need for having one but didn't have one.

TuneIn Radio - web radio - FREE - Can listen to radio stations all over the world, anywhere you have service in the world. Not all stations are playable, but CD101 is so I can listen to CD101 anywhere I have signal.

Unblock Me Free - game - FREE - addictive single player game. object is to move the brown wood blocks out of the red wooden block's way to get the red block off of the board.

Google Voice - voicemail - FREE - You have to have a google voice account, but it gives you transcriptions of your voicemails into text, and gives them in list form that's playable like the web version. Also enables you to make outgoing calls/texts using your google voice phone number.

Where's My Droid - Oh shit I lost my phone app - FREE - Send a text to your phone from your friends phone or google voice to either make your phone ring as loud as it can for a selectable amount of time (will override if you have your phone on vibrate/silent) or send back a text message of the coordinates of your phone depending on the text you send your phone. I suggest adding GPS tracker so you can remotely turn on GPS as well so you don't have GPS on all the time sucking down battery.

Antoine Dodson - soundboard - FREE - Funny soundboard of the bedroom intruder guy

Instant Buttons - soundboard - FREE - Misc sounds, set them as ring tones, hit them at the perfect time for great gag's, lots of good sounds in this one.

That's all I have now. I know there's lots of great applications for this phone, who else has some good applications?

Edited by gmann
added more shit

• 4 weeks later...

Zedge - android (didnt see it in the apple store when i checked on my gfs ipod touch, but who knows) - FREE...thousands of amazing wallpapers, high def images...when i got it i couldnt keep a wallpaper for more than a min before changing it...its awesome

Theres a bunch of ringtones too, some of them ive heard are ok, a lot are lame

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/ScreenShot.pnghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/ScreenShot-1.pnghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/ScreenShot-2.pnghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/ScreenShot-3.png

Mobile Mouse - Utility - iOS - $1.99 - Well worth the $2 for a remote mouse and other smart app remote. Can even wake up/power on sleeping machines if they are set up for it.

JumiMouse+ - Utility - iOS - $3.99 - Found this AFTER Mobile Mouse unfortunately, has many of the same functions but no WOL. Can remote in to a machine and view the screen on your iphone/ipod/ipad.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as I have heard the skip hack is iOS only. One of the best Jailbreak things you can do as it makes Pandora far more useable.

Never had problems with pandora. Of course it's always on country so it's limited.

Zedge - android (didnt see it in the apple store when i checked on my gfs ipod touch, but who knows) - FREE...thousands of amazing wallpapers, high def images...when i got it i couldnt keep a wallpaper for more than a min before changing it...its awesome

Theres a bunch of ringtones too, some of them ive heard are ok, a lot are lame

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/ScreenShot.png

Thanks for the info on zedge

What Rom is this? Stock appearance but I noticed the battery icon shows numbers. How's it run compared to stock?

thank you for the audiogalaxy app!!

TuneIn Radio - web radio - FREE - Can listen to radio stations all over the world, anywhere you have service in the world. Not all stations are playable, but CD101 is so I can listen to CD101 anywhere I have signal.

cd101 isn't on this...it's 102.5 and i don't see it available :(

You have to be rooted to take screenshots if you're not running gingerbread, or you can install the Android SDK and you can take screenshots with it.

I've been using this app called TIKL, it's for iOS and Android. It's a Push-to-talk/walkie talkie app. Works pretty good, you can talk to multiple people on both platforms.

https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.androidcloud.app.ptt.client&feature=search_result