Future Truck: Cummins vs. Ford Turbo V6

zeitgeist57

I still love diesels, but with the expectation of $5+ gasoline within a few years which would you pick?

For diesels, hate the fact that *no one* has a light-duty (1/2 ton) diesel pickup on the market. You want a diesel truck? Enjoy hefting around 3 tons of truck you don't need everywhere you go. I was on the Mahindra bandwagon until it became a "never-was" failure...

The new Ford 3.5 TT really strikes me as a great compromise between power and fuel efficiency, but it's unproven at this point. The whole package seems to be impressive enough for me to also overlook the fact it's only offered with an automatic (albeit a 6-speed).

I'm also fearful that, unlike Europe where diesel is substantially less than gasoline, when gas does go up in price again, diesel will go up with it in the U.S...

my dad just bought a new 2010 fx2 and got an invitation to go to the local dealership to test drive the new f150 with the tt eco boost and he has no interest at all in doing so. Wish I lived in TX...I would take his place.

Are you looking at buying a new truck now?

No. Cleetus still fits the bill well. Just looking 5 years down the road or so, when either the Ecoboost is used or (hopefully) Cummins offers a lighter-duty diesel in a Ram! ;)

The most I ever do is tow (Vette, Bobcat, etc...) but 95% of my hauling is light-duty suburban-life stuff: mulch, garbage/recycling, moving/storage work.

The perfect truck would be a F250/F350 with a Cummins and Allison tranny. I did a lot of shopping around when I bought my current truck ('08 F350 Powerstroke Dually) and was far more impressed with Ford's workmanship. I owned an '03 Ram 1500 prior to that, and although it treated me well, I wasn't overly impressed with how quickly its condition was deteriorating.

I heard that you couldn't get a manual transmission in the 2011 F-150 no matter what engine you purchase. Yes it was a 6spd auto.

what do you mean the 3.5L TT EcoBoost isn't tested.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Watch the torture test videos (5-6 of them)

Edited by CRAWDAD
TYPO------ is = isn't

I heard that you couldn't get a manual transmission in the 2011 F-150 no matter what engine you purchase. Yes it was a 6spd auto.

what do you mean the 3.5L TT EcoBoost is tested.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Watch the torture test videos (5-6 of them)

THIS.

Ford brought down 2 F-150 Ecoboosts for us to test drive several weeks ago, one in Lariat trim and one FX4:D.

I have to say I'm incredibly impressed. If its any indication, 2 of our techs (one of them a master tech) have decided to extend their leases on their F-250s until they can get one of the Ecoboost F-150s.

The torture tests summed up:

-Ecoboost motor slated to be put in 2011 F-150 is removed from the Cleveland Engine Plant line at random. Goes directly to dyno and is run for equivalent of 150,000 miles to ensure it still produces 365 hp and 420 lb/ft torque at the end of that test.

-Motor is then brought to Kansas City Assembly Plant and dropped in a production 2011 F-150. Said F-150 is then taken to Oregon to work as a log skidder and replaces other, heavy duty equipment.

-The same F-150 is then taken to Homestead-Miami Speedway and tows a pair of Sprint Cup Ford Fusions around the 1.5 mile oval for 24 hours straight to demonstrate class-leading 11,300 lbs towing.

-Same Ecoboost motor is then dropped in a race-built F-150 and run in the 2010 Baja 1000.

-Motor is then removed and placed on the dyno, still produces 365hp and 420 lb/ft torque.

Finally, the motor will be torn down and examined in front of spectators at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show, and will be streamed live Jan. 15 at 11:00 am.

I could tell you about the myriad awesome gadgets I saw on it when I got the opportunity to drive it (ability to lock out higher gears is pretty cool), but really you should just drive one when they're available at dealers.

I am considering one. I am just waiting for them to show up at the dealership I'm at to get a closer look first. I was looking at a new diesel but damm I don't want to drop that much coin. Hopefully they keep the cost reasonable.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/2011-ford-f-150-ecoboost-rated-at-16-city-22-highway/

16 city MPG/22 hwy mpg. Not bad for a twin turbo pickup running on regular unleaded.

edit: and according to the article, the Ecoboost is only a $750 option

lol post number 11 from your article.

Ace Convoy, 35 mpg in a '98 Town Car. Um, no. Not possible unless you pushed it off a cliff.

I will be going down and driving one at ricart once they show up.

forget Ricart, Bob-Boyd Auto Family in Lancaster :D

What do you do for Bob Boyd? I have my F250 and my wifes Tarus X serviced there. Known Bobby Dawes for many years he's a good guy.

Oh and I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy the turbo six in the new 150, Ford is far ahead of the competition when it comes to trucks.