1994 Honda Civic Si overheating

coryscobra

I just bought the car a couple weeks ago. After a couple days it started gettin hot so I cranked the heat up, went and bought a thermostat and put it in. A couple days later it did it again so I topped off the coolant (didnt take much at all).

Problem- Gets hot every couple days, top the coolant off which it doesnt take much at all and then same problem again a couple days later.

The cars DOES NOT SMOKE AT ALL. Car runs perfect.

Thanks for any help or advice guys......

I just bought the car a couple weeks ago. After a couple days it started gettin hot so I cranked the heat up, went and bought a thermostat and put it in. A couple days later it did it again so I topped off the coolant (didnt take much at all).

Problem- Gets hot every couple days, top the coolant off which it doesnt take much at all and then same problem again a couple days later.

The cars DOES NOT SMOKE AT ALL. Car runs perfect.

Thanks for any help or advice guys......

The cars are known for headgaskets. Also check the Rad cap. But Ill put my money on H/G. Dont worry its not that bad. PM me if you need any assistance.

1. check the radiator cap (occasionally they do break down and need replaced).

2. check the radiator around the end tanks and fins for any leaks or holes.

3. Like josh said are you running a overflow?

4. Does your fan kick on (common problem with hondas, 98% of hondas have previous owners rig the fan to work).

5. Do leak down test to see if you need a headgasket.

1. check the radiator cap (occasionally they do break down and need replaced).

2. check the radiator around the end tanks and fins for any leaks or holes.

3. Like josh said are you running a overflow?

4. Does your fan kick on (common problem with hondas, 98% of hondas have previous owners rig the fan to work).

5. Do leak down test to see if you need a headgasket.

don t the D-series motors have an iron head? if so, likelihood of a warped head to accompany the maybe blown HG is low

if you don t see any physical leaks anywhere on the motor, i m gonna guess your coolant is going the way of the combustion chamber, especially if you don t see any white smoke from the tailpipe as you say

but of course, I wholeheartedly agree that getting a new rad cap should be your immediate course of action...they're cheap but they do fail and leak overheated/boiled coolant that can't stay pressurized

Das honda uses all aluminum blocks and heads i cant think of a motor that has cast maybe in the 70's. the aluminum will warp faster then the cast actually. this is why you should always straight edge your head and block before re assembly. O and use OEM head gasket.

Bleed the system. The cap replacement is another good idea. Start simple and look at the 'easy' stuff first. I've got (and had) many 92-95 Civics and never had an issue with a head gasket that wasn't related to overheating the car first. These cars are very easy to work on, so whatever it is, it won't be bad to fix! Good luck!

Check wiring going to the ecu and could be easy as a bad ground. or you have low oil pressure, not engaging vtec. You can go to the j-yard with a 10mm socket and grab the top part of the vtec solenoid and try that first. Just clean it real good.

The solenoid is good we cleaned it? The car does have an oil leak...