07 impreza 2.5i

armin922

Alrighty, here is my piece. I turn Subaru's on the side frequently I know them well. I also work on almost all of them that come throught the shop with that being said as of right now Subaru is NOT a company I would recommend when considering a N/A powered Subaru.

The 2.0T motors have held up VERY well if you don't dick around a ton with them. I just had a 2007 Impreza Sport in last week (the impreza wagon) with the ever popular 2.5 SOHC that ALLLLL the Subaru guys claim was redeemed of the head gasket problem. It was leaking oil (when I say leak I mean dripping) from the back of BOTH heads at 37K miles, it has had all oil changes synthetic since new on record. It also had a resonator that was split along the seam that is a dealer only part that costs about $400 to replace, that's just the part.

I stress to you that if you look at one do yourself a favor and crawl under the front of the car/look from behind the front wheels foreward at the rear of the heads, if there is any sign of oil seepage that seems significant to you expect head gasket replacement around 70K miles which is roughly 35K miles ahead of the timing belt service.

Otherwise they are second to none IMO in the snow there are plenty of other very satisfied Subaru owners on this board, but a majority of them are turbo cars that have less issues than the SOHC motors. I love them to death because I buy them for next to nothing dump a ton of parts into it and have a solid car that when I sell to someone else I have confidence that they will have almost no issues until the heads start leaking AGAIN.

pros: reliable, great in inclement weather

cons: mpg, slow

Definitely check the head gaskets, but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying if they check out. I like new subarus but used you really have to be cautious about how previous owners drove them. Driveline components can be expensive to repair.

I had one for a year before I bastardized it with a STI swap. Was awesome in the snow. MPG was not really that bad. As for the maintenance that may be true about what you need to work on, but they are a breeze to work on. I would much rather work on my old Subaru than my Mitsubishi.

thats because carmax charges too much.

O my friend maybe you should do some research

Anyway yes it is at sawmill and you will not be disapointed if you come look at it and see how we (carmax) build our used cars.. and you can get a great war plan also :)

O my friend maybe you should do some research

Anyway yes it is at sawmill and you will not be disapointed if you come look at it and see how we (carmax) build our used cars.. and you can get a great war plan also :)

There is so much bullshit in this post it makes my head hurt.

its weird i looked it up on kbb its 10000. and its at carmax for 13998

KBB is not a good place to judge the value of a car. If you have ever seen how the KKB prices get put on the windows of a large dealership you would never open that website again.

"BUILD" them ?

Do you guys add custom turbo kits to justify the price ?

Maybe you strip the entire car and rebuild it bolt by bolt ?

When a car goes to Carmax, they are stripped of all Aftermarket stuff and all wear items are replaced with autozone parts.

Edited by Benjamin

Bottom line is that if it's a plain old 2.5i with no options it was an $17k car new. Should be much less than $14k 3-4 years old with 40kmi.

It's not just KBB that says much less than $14k. Edmunds says $11.4k and NADA says $12.5k.

I've never been to Carmax even to browse so I have no opinion of them outside of being very leery of a big chain that looks to be the analogous to the Walmart of used cars. Having said that if I walked into a place and saw a car that should go for $10-12k, whatever that number may actually be, marked for $14k I'm walking out. There is no point in even window shopping there if I'm actually looking for a car. Am I going to have to haggle with these snakes (all used car sales people are snakes) for over $2k just to get to a reasonable price? NO thank you.

And now my opinion has been mostly formed about Carmax. Unless the Carmax schill from earlier in the thread can justify that price by saying they polish the car with Unicorn semen that makes it smell like Jessica Alba and go twice as fast as stock I won't bother shopping there.

Bottom line is that if it's a plain old 2.5i with no options it was an $17k car new. Should be much less than $14k 3-4 years old with 40kmi.

It's not just KBB that says much less than $14k. Edmunds says $11.4k and NADA says $12.5k.

I've never been to Carmax even to browse so I have no opinion of them outside of being very leery of a big chain that looks to be the analogous to the Walmart of used cars. Having said that if I walked into a place and saw a car that should go for $10-12k, whatever that number may actually be, marked for $14k I'm walking out. There is no point in even window shopping there if I'm actually looking for a car. Am I going to have to haggle with these snakes (all used car sales people are snakes) for over $2k just to get to a reasonable price? NO thank you.

And now my opinion has been mostly formed about Carmax. Unless the Carmax schill from earlier in the thread can justify that price by saying they polish the car with Unicorn semen that makes it smell like Jessica Alba and go twice as fast as stock I won't bother shopping there.

You missed the part where you can't even haggle with them. :) The price is the price, lol. That place truely is the Walmart of cars, but without the prices of Walmart.