Average Price for a CT Scan

Drewhop

It's simple, you call and negotiate

Cash is still king after all these years.

Personally I would prefer the government to leave me completely alone but I dont see that happening. I dont care about obama care of health legislation. I just want them to get there fucking corrupt hands out of my pockets.

Why don't you have health insurance? I don't recall ever having a job where I couldn't get insurance.

I do have health insurance. As does everyone in my household.

It covers a certain amount. After that out of my pocket. Lot of times (which I have done in the past) You can negotiate a cheaper amount paying cash. Look at the cost that a hospital charges a insurance company for a standard child birth. Then ask what you can pay out of pocket. The cost difference is huge.

Federal law requires all providers to publish list prices for exams. Check websites, or call. Insurance companies all get discounts, usually 45-60%, depends on how much volume they do with provider. Contracts with biggest insurance companies state that the provider is not allowed to offer a larger discount to anyone else. Most providers will give the same discount to self-pay patients if they call and ask, if you have any insurance coverage at all you are locked in to what your insurance company negotiated. The only people who pay list price are self-pays who don't ask for a discount. I've said for years this is a root cause of the problems with healthcare in the country, but guess who has the power in D.C.? Insurance companies make obscene amounts of money while the self-pay patient gets screwed.

I do have health insurance. As does everyone in my household.

It covers a certain amount. After that out of my pocket. Lot of times (which I have done in the past) You can negotiate a cheaper amount paying cash. Look at the cost that a hospital charges a insurance company for a standard child birth. Then ask what you can pay out of pocket. The cost difference is huge.

Many people do not realize this. I think alot of you would be amazed. It's a business like any other. The last time I 'price shopped' was for a dentist. What one dentist did for a couple grand another wanted to charge me for 11k! I shit you not. Just goes to show you...

$1500 i get them 2 times a year. Chest,abdomin,pelvic

Why? Is it a need? I hope so.

And to both of you, I'm no doctor, but it's been my belief you never take a ct if you can get an mri for it. I do not know either of your specific needs nor should you take my word as king, (Im sure neither of you are ;)), but it's something you should really look into. And if you do, I wouldn't necessarily accept the actual hospital's advice on where you're getting it done. Remember? It's a business. ;)

And to both of you, I'm no doctor, but it's been my belief you never take a ct if you can get an mri for it. ;)

Not true. MRI and CT each have their own uses and use totally different technologies to produce the images. The key is to use the proper one, and many times an insurance company won't pay for an MRI until after a CT or other imaging is already done. MRI is great for soft tissues that don't move much, CT is better for bones or dynamic imaging, or smaller structures as it's resolution is much better.

depends on what you need it for. are they just scanning your knee? is it your chest/abdomen/pelvis. do they have to do thin cuts, reconstructions??

kind of like asking a mechanic how much it will cost for 'engine work' on your car. the price can vary to a significant degree.