Buell "own the corners" Hype or not?

everoblivion2005

hey, just wondering about buells, wondering if anyone on here has ever ridden one or ridden with one. i know that even my friends 08 ZZR 600 has slightly faster 1/4 mile times, but are they really as amazing in the twisties as they're hyped up to be? I'm specifically thinking of the XB12R, I saw a video a while back that pitted it against the SS1000 Duc and another bike that i can't remember also 2 cyl (japanese company not really seen in the states). it trashed them both according to the pro tester but i can't seem to find it again. I really like the idea of buying American but you won't catch me dead on a cruiser. thanks for your input.

I've put about 400 miles on my dad's X1, and it's for sale if you're interested.

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=21121

I haven't ridden any of the newer ones, but safe to say that the older ones aren't as refined as the Japanese machines. I like the looks and the technology, but the "heart" is still Harley and that engine really doesn't do the rest of the bike any favors. Awesome handling, looks good, great brakes... crappy powerplant. I think my dad's bike clicked off 12.35's at 115-120mph. My 'zuki vtwin 998cc mill clicks off 11.68's... so I think it's pretty easy to see which one is desperate for a better powerplant.

You'd be much better off looking at a 1125R or 1125CR with the Rotax - those things rip.

Edited by JRMMiii

YOU have to own a corner first, before any bike will. If you don't know how to carve a corner on a bike first, and I'm talking about fast cornering, then what type of sportbike you have wouldn't matter, especially if you're not riding the track. I would take MSF course first man and then after you get about a year under your belt, do a track day at Mid-Ohio, atleast one so you get the experts showing you how to corner correctly and utilize that skill safely.;)

Edited by NinjaNick

YOU have to own a corner first, before any bike will. If you don't know how to carve a corner on a bike first, and I'm talking about fast cornering, then what type of sportbike you have wouldn't matter, especially if you're not riding the track. I would take MSF course first man and then after you get about a year under your belt, do a track day at Mid-Ohio, at least one so you get the experts showing you how to corner correctly and utilize that skill safely.;)

defiantly, im hoping to score a walk in for MSF here soon. and i won't get a bike (obviously) before MSF. i'm gonna get a 600 for my first bike and 3 years down the road get something bigger. my dad rode sport bikes while i was a kid and he pounded the importance of learning from more experienced riders into my head by the time i was 12. wrillo talked me outta getting the xb12r as my first bike, but i'd like to get it after i'm more experienced.

[quote=you'll do just fine in this great hobby/sport. :cool::wheeliezx10:

Thanks, It's a hobby i've been wanting to get into since i first remember hearing dad tell stories with his friends about the ride that day.

Oh and the 1125R is beautiful. thinking about it now the only reason i stopped thinking about it was because it was out of my price range, but it would be a great present for my self for graduating. love that bike.

If you like it, then own it. That's what matters - not what anyone has to say about it as most probably have never even ridden one. They're actually pretty cool bikes. That Rotax motor is awesome and a HUGE, HUUUUUUUUGE step above the HD based powerplant.

Runs like stink, but the style? Well, again... If you like it, that's what matters.

Get the white one...

I have ridden a buddy of mines XB12CS a couple of times and I liked the handling and torque, but the Rev range was too short for my tastes. I don't feel like it handled better than anything else I have ridden, but I would say it was at least on par. The fit and finish seemed to be reasonably well done. I remember that it seemed like it roasted my legs and backside a bit much, which is saying something considering my RC's heat reputation. I would say that overall it was an easily rideable bike. It has a broad torque curve, given it's limited rev range and would be very forgiving on the street or track. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by ffbigrig

I have ridden the XB9R, XB12R and the 1125R ... all fine machines. Haven't had a good chance to run the heck out of the XB9R in the corners yet, but have had a XB12R on some WV roads and the 1125R on Mid-O (Buell release track day). The motor of the 1125R is a step up from the XB's plant. Good pull through-out. The 5-speed transmission and and lack of top-end running room takes some getting used to and some people don't wait around long enough to learn it, so they leave it. The XB's are touchy to suspension setup, which turns some off (again, not learning the bike) ... but once setup, they can rail. They are stable and easy to ride through the corners... with torque that doesn't care which gear you are in ... it will pull out (especially the 12). I know a guy you races them (XB9R -- he now has an 1125R (not sure if he plans on racing it)).

Ride any bike for what it is and get it setup right for you. Every bike has ups and downs, get to know what you prefer. I have ridden 2, 3 and 4 cylinder bikes, I ride learn them, set them up and ride the crap out of 'em.

I have ridden the XB9R, XB12R and the 1125R ... all fine machines. Haven't had a good chance to run the heck out of the XB9R in the corners yet, but have had a XB12R on some WV roads and the 1125R on Mid-O (Buell release track day). The motor of the 1125R is a step up from the XB's plant. Good pull through-out. The 5-speed transmission and and lack of top-end running room takes some getting used to and some people don't wait around long enough to learn it, so they leave it.

Are you talking about the XB12R or the 1125R's transmission? The Buell website says the 1125r has a 6-speed transmission.

Well if you watched the Daytona 200 it's obvious the new Buells can hang just fine...until it falls apart that is.

I think he finished something crazy like 6th or 7th didn't he? After being lapped numerous times, for sitting in the pits trying to tape the body back together.

Good to see that you're active on here Oblivion!

why is a 600cc sportbike a "starter" bike?

must be all the straight roads in ohio confusin people.

I agree Ben, but the 600cc is a result of talking him out of the XB12r. I've made it very clear to the OP that a 600 can & will kill him, but as long as he keeps it cool he'll be okay for the most part. I fully expect him to shit his pants a couple times though :lol:I'm willing to teach those willing to learn though

I think he finished something crazy like 6th or 7th didn't he? After being lapped numerous times, for sitting in the pits trying to tape the body back together.

fifth actually

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2009-daytona-200-results-88058.html

and yes i do know that a 600 is PLENTY of bike and is not typically considered a starter bike (by people who actually ride). but that's what both the riders i know started on. and its also up to me to keep myself aware and safe.

Edited by everoblivion2005

fifth actually

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/2009-daytona-200-results-88058.html

and yes i do know that a 600 is PLENTY of bike and is not typically considered a starter bike (by people who actually ride). but that's what both the riders i know started on. and its also up to me to keep myself aware and safe.

Nothing at ALL wrong with starting on a 600, unless you're a total fucking spaz. You don't have to grab a giant handful of throttle, and if you're such a clutz that a 600 gets away from you even a 250 Ninja can provide you with all the tools necessary to fuck you up. The weight and handling of most 600 cc sport bikes & standards is pretty ideal for a new rider, and I still think the SV650 is a great first bike.

I came back to bikes after 20 years off (my last bike a 175 DR) to a 1000cc Vstrom, and had no problem whatsoever getting used to it. Just took it slow, did my MSF, lots and lots of low-speed then a track instruction to help out.

my cuz had a buell for a while, and he thought he would jump right on a 600 and feel comfortable on it.. 4 days later he crashed it into a ditch, i was right behind him as we was going into the corner. i think he finally relized that the 600 a bit more zip than the buell as far as higher RPM's.

my cuz had a buell for a while, and he thought he would jump right on a 600 and feel comfortable on it.. 4 days later he crashed it into a ditch, i was right behind him as we was going into the corner. i think he finally relized that the 600 a bit more zip than the buell as far as higher RPM's.

Let's put it this way... Buell 1125s are racing against current crop 600s. Seems to be a pretty equal scenerio, right? I think it says a lot about the lack of power and handling of the Buells...

Now, add in street trim and the bikes get even further apart. Your buddy got a good leason in what these current crop Big 4 bikes have to offer. They are much lighter, purpose built machines. I do bet after a while of learning, your buddy will never go back.

It's not a slam as I think the new 1125 is a MUCH better attempt at a sportbike than previous Buells. I remember the previous models as being VERY chunky and sloppy and not a good idea for track use. Many did and with success, but if they succeeded, they dropped a LOT of money into them to get them close...

I do know that there is a proper sportbike attempt coming from Buell. It hopefully will not get shelved as it is targeting the RC8, Ducati, etc. Now, we've heard this song and dance before, but I think it may change...