Any one work for AT&T or know about installing a second phone line?

Browning

I need to install a jack in a room that doesn't have one at the moment and it needs to be for a second line for dsl. Been looking on the net and thought I had it under control until I opened the network box outside of the house. Now I'm just confused. The existing jacks in the house have the standard 4 wire, red, green, black and yellow with black and yellow not being hooked up. However, at the box outside I don't see any of those colors at all. Just the green.

I would rather do this myself than pay AT&T to do it. Would save me $100 or so. What's funny is they told me this house was ready for the second line which it clearly isn't since only two wires are hooked up, right? It has to be a second line since the first line is used for phone and dialup(we live in the sticks:o) and will be keeping it for the time being. I went and got a flush mount jack and 100ft of the 4 wire phone line. Just need to know how the box needs to be wired for the new line and jack.

http://i53.tinypic.com/28rgwu1.jpg

the terminals on 5 right?

Also, if I unplug the test jack on line two and hook up a phone should I have a dial tone or no?

Actually, looking at the picture closer, it depends on how the terminals are wired.

If the 2nd line goes on 5, then you would wire into green/gray (treating gray like it is red). If not, you will hit yellow/black on terminal 3.

If the line is active on terminal 5, you should be able to hit a test phone on that jack. Otherwise, you'd have to have test leads or a 2-line phone if it is on yellow/black on terminal 3 in order to hear dial tone.

My assumption is that block is set for 4 pairs of wires to hit the box, and it depends on what is activated.

You can make a ghetto test lead by simply taking a silver satin core, cutting off an end, and stripping back red/green to toss on the posts to test for dial tone.

ignore those wires in the pic. I'm running a new separate set of wires (black/yellow and red/green) from the NID to the room where I need the jack. The lines that are hooked up need to be left as is for the dialup to work along with the dsl I'm assuming which is why I need the new jack on a separate line.

I plugged a phone line into the test jack on 5 and got nothing.

I've come to realize this house is wired weird. It has cat5 at the NID but regular 4 wire line at the jacks. Think I'm gonna have to have AT&T come out lol

You probably have a Bell Block somewhere in your basement - maybe a 66 block, but doubtful (or could just be scotch locked together...or a hack could have twisted/taped, used wire caps, etc). CAT5 is running to that. Is your wiring home run or daisy chained? Is there an alarm panel anywhere?

Trace that CAT5 and see where it goes. That is what is feeding your home.