tax question...

evan9381

some of you may have seen my previous thread about doing the complaint of valuation on my home...im going through and doing my taxes, and its asking for property taxes paid...per my banks records, they paid $2980.xx

now heres where i have a couple things come up

#1 - there was something my title company didnt catch...basically the city had to keep up the house, charged $402 or so. my bank ended up paying it, but the title company cut me a refund check.

#2 - from doing the complaint of valuation, i got a check back from the auditors office for i think $847.

so would i use the $2980.xx amount, or should i enter it for the $2980-1249 so ~$1730ish that is in reality what i actually paid after i got those refunds back?

edit - meant to add, i did call the auditors office and asked if i should be expecting a 1099 as a "government payment" and the guy told me that the refund isnt reportable and i wouldnt get a 1099

TIA

haha...sorry. i did find that you have to deduct any refunds you got...made sense, being that i probably wouldnt claim 2900 if i got 1200 back...i only deducted the refund though...didnt deduct the $400 from the title company since i just went and put it back into my escrow account where it should have been to begin with. shouldnt have been paid out, so since it was, when i got it back, i repaid the escrow.