Opinions on Acura TL?

Flyin Miata

Finally got a job which means it's time to get a decent car. Anyone have experience with TL's, specifically the 2004-2008 models. Reliability issues? I know it's an Acura but I want to know what to look for, or any issues that should be addressed before I buy one. Hoping to find a manual model, but are there any issues with the auto trans if I end up going that route?

After reading some horror stories on the Mazdaspeed6, I've decided that this might be the better route considering it will be my DD and only car.

very very nice cars, don't know what mileage you're looking for, but for the most part the first major maintenance doesn't come until 105,000, which is t-belt, water pump, plugs, filters, fluids

actually the maintenance minder will tell you when those items are due, its not done by mileage anymore, some cars get past the 105k mark before the minder shows what sub items are due. only issues are some early models had problems with the transmissions slipping, and some 05-06 models are getting a torque converter vibration problem. only recall I can think of is the power steering pressure line needing replaced, but most of those have already been completed, other than that nothing else I can thinks of at the moment

actually the maintenance minder will tell you when those items are due, its not done by mileage anymore, some cars get past the 105k mark before the minder shows what sub items are due.

i'm not going to trust an interference engine's computer to tell me when my timing belt needs changed..

what sensor detects the broken down rubber in the belt or number of cracks in it?

and whats sensor looks for the water pump seeping and crusting up out the bottom after about 95k?

If you're considering an auto, then definitely stick to an 07-08 because they updated the transmission to a better unit. Even then, you'll want to change the fluid to help with the inherent slipping issues.

Overall the 07-08 models received some updates that are worth getting if you can afford the newer models. If you have some specific questions, just let me know.

If you're considering an auto, then definitely stick to an 07-08 because they updated the transmission to a better unit. Even then, you'll want to change the fluid to help with the inherent slipping issues.

Overall the 07-08 models received some updates that are worth getting if you can afford the newer models. If you have some specific questions, just let me know.

Well I'm really looking to keep it around 17k, as I will be making payments but I have a good chunk saved up for down payment. It seems that there are manual models out there with less than 60,000 miles in my price range, but I may have to make a road trip to get one. I'm going to go test drive an auto to get the basic feel of the car.

After seeing some youtube clips of aftermarket exhausts, I'm really excited. That 3.2 sounds damn good once you let it breathe a little. Glad that I'm hearing good reviews though, reliability is a must as it will be my only car. If only I could swing a low mileage Type-S :(.

Well I'm really looking to keep it around 17k, as I will be making payments but I have a good chunk saved up for down payment. It seems that there are manual models out there with less than 60,000 miles in my price range, but I may have to make a road trip to get one. I'm going to go test drive an auto to get the basic feel of the car.

After seeing some youtube clips of aftermarket exhausts, I'm really excited. That 3.2 sounds damn good once you let it breathe a little. Glad that I'm hearing good reviews though, reliability is a must as it will be my only car. If only I could swing a low mileage Type-S :(.

It's a Honda, don't worry about the miles.

+2 on keeping an eye on the tranny issues and years. The older 5spd auto's had a recall done that supposedly fixed them. They did extend the warranty coverage on the tranny though. I sold my 03 AV6 with no issues but it still ticks me off that a Honda had such a major issue and gave me a band aid fix.

i'm not going to trust an interference engine's computer to tell me when my timing belt needs changed..

what sensor detects the broken down rubber in the belt or number of cracks in it?

and whats sensor looks for the water pump seeping and crusting up out the bottom after about 95k?

Being an Acura Tech for 15 years now I think I just might know what I'm saying, yes I understand where your coming from because all of us at the dealership are the same way, now I'm not saying it can't happen but I've never seen it except on modded cars and cars with a huge lack of service, I've seen some customer TL's that have 170k+ with the original belt :eek:

I'll be honest that I'm not the biggest fan of the auto, but it's my wife's car and even if she wanted a 6-speed I couldn't find one with the mileage and in the condition we wanted. If you can find a 6-speed that fits your needs then I'd say go for it, but they're hard to find. Also, the bigger front brakes on the 6-speeds are nice, except that pads and rotors are more expensive so keep that in mind.

For the exhaust, get an ATLP if you can find one. They're made with Stromung mufflers (what I have on my M3) and sound amazing. I won't be getting one though as we put about 20K miles a year on my wife's car and I don't want the additional noise on road trips.

my dad has one and loves it. He hasn't had one problem with it since he bought it new back in 05. Comfort and drive ability are amazing. also it has a very nice audio system. and believe it or not auto's are pretty quick, because of the DBW it takes a second for the power to kick it but once it does you definitely feel it.

my dad has one and loves it. He hasn't had one problem with it since he bought it new back in 05. Comfort and drive ability are amazing. also it has a very nice audio system. and believe it or not auto's are pretty quick, because of the DBW it takes a second for the power to kick it but once it does you definitely feel it.

Yea I'm excited to hear the sound system as well. Read some reviews that put it as one of the best stock systems to come standard when it first came out. I'm used to having 2 speakers in my current car so it'll be a welcome change.

The hardest part is just waiting until I start my job and get settled in before I make the purchase. I want it now!

hmmm...stromung mufflers..... :). I'd trade my Active Autowerke on my M3 for a Stromung in a heartbeat

the TL is a better car by far than the TSX and is completely worth it. the engine is silky smooth and pretty damn reliable. The seats are also really good (I actually sit next to the front seats' engineer for that gen TL)

I know someone who picked up an 03 Odyssey one time whose transmission was slipping but had not failed yet. He took it to a shop and had it reverse-drained (pressurized the system in the opposing direction of normal operation) to drain away all the residue built-up in the trans' screen (since the trans fluid filter is not replaceable)

He's still driving it.....50k miles later and no slip....it's basically the same auto trans in the 04-08 TL....something to consider if you do end up having to settle for an autotragic