Coworker caught someone peeking

El Karacho1647545492

Color me throughly unimpressed with the 500 now that the fuel economy numbers are out. What car is next, anything worth buying?

I'm curious as to why you'd say that. And if that's what you believe, I hope you'll at least keep an open mind until you get a chance to visit us when we open and thrash around one of our cars. Part of the reason the gas mileage is worse is that they've put a little weight on the 500 to adapt it to the U.S. market.

Key adaptations of the 500 for the North American market include:

-Redesigned body structure for increased strength

-Exclusively tailored suspension for the US market to keep the Fiat 500 nimble while delivering a comfortable and quiet interior cabin for highway driving;

-More than 20 specific hardware modifications/additions for improved noise, vibration and harshness (NVH);

-New four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system (ABS) with redesigned front calipers for optimum brake performance;

-Larger 10.5-gallon fuel tank for extended driving range;

-Upgraded heating and cooling system for North American climate extremes; and

-New steering wheel controls and revised steering effort calibration to increase stability at highway speed (against crosswinds).

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/11/fiat-20101120.html

And if I can't lure you out for that, I bet you'll come visit when the Abarth Esseesse hits our shores.

EDIT: Curb weight for Euro version is between 1910-2200lbs, which includes engine and transmission combinations not available to U.S. buyers. U.S. Spec starts at 2363 for 5-speed manual base and 2434 for 6-speed auto base, so that doesn't inlcude things like optional sunroof.

EDIT: Curb weight for Euro version is between 1910-2200lbs, which includes engine and transmission combinations not available to U.S. buyers. U.S. Spec starts at 2363 for 5-speed manual base and 2434 for 6-speed auto base, so that doesn't inlcude things like optional sunroof.

"Hi, welcome to the US. Here's your 200lb weight penalty."

"Hi, welcome to the US. Here's your minimum mileage requirements."

I hate how the NHTSA and the EPA are pulling cars in opposite directions. The NHTSA wants every car to be a M1 Abrams and the EPA wants every car to be bicycle.

I'm curious as to why you'd say that. And if that's what you believe, I hope you'll at least keep an open mind until you get a chance to visit us when we open and thrash around one of our cars. Part of the reason the gas mileage is worse is that they've put a little weight on the 500 to adapt it to the U.S. market.

And if I can't lure you out for that, I bet you'll come visit when the Abarth Esseesse hits our shores.

I am keeping an open mind and am willing to check it out. Also I agree with this article that most people who will end up buying a 500 won't necessarily do so for the gas mileage, it will be for the style. And I think it will sell well on that note. Too bad the for Smart the Fourtwo is ugly as sin.

And while the 500's EPA ratings of 30 miles per gallon in the city and 38 mpg on the highway aren't bad, it's not exactly what we were hoping for.

For comparison, consider the fact that much larger C-segment entries like the Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze are all capable of achieving 40 mpg or higher (granted, you have to spec certain transmissions and option packages on the latter two in order to achieve it). What's more, the 30/38 mpg rating on the Fiat 500 is only with the five-speed manual transmission. Cars equipped with the six-speed self-shifter will only achieve 27/34 mpg. Ouch.

Still, with prices starting at $15,995 for the entry-level Pop model, we don't think Fiat will have too much trouble moving 500s out of showrooms. Besides, the majority of people purchasing the Fiat 500 will be doing so because of its style rather than its frugality.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/28/official-2012-fiat-500-fuel-economy-numbers-fall-short-of-40-mpg/

So the only thing it has going for it over b-segment cars is style (opinion) and a few grand in price, but gets worse gas mileage and is a much less usable car due to the smaller size. The only way I'm really interested in one of these cars is if it get's better gas mileage due to being smaller, and it will still be too small for what I use cars for. I think that's saying a lot since I like cars that are typically small for the american market. I still have to be able to fit my skis and bike (not at the same time) in the back.

are we getting the abarth 500 they had on top gear?

Yes and no. We are getting a similar car, but like the U.S.-Spec 500 it will have different specs. It will most likely have 10-20 more horsepower and gobs more torque than the Euro spec. They're saying it will be here by first quarter 2012 but you know how car companies can be somewhat ambitious about release dates.

Troublemaker, I see what you're saying, but I think comparing it to B-segment cars is flawed. The guy who is looking to buy a Ford Focus or Chevy Cruze or Hyundai Elantra probably gives the 500 between 0-1% consideration in the decision process. The 500 is targeted in the same way the Mini Cooper is; affordable, reliable, and fun/fast. The saying for a long time has been you can have 2 of the 3, and the Mini proved to everyone that you can get affordable and fun/fast and that even if its a little unreliable, people will still love it. The 500 is trying to outdo Mini, and attempting to do so with new technology (look up the MultiAir engine if you haven't already, its a very cool system) and cheaper sticker price. I'll let you know as soon as we get our demo car at the Lincoln store for people to see.

I feel like most of that is a nice way of saying we nerfed it a bit. However, I knew these things were happening, anyway and Im still excited to see all the things this Chrysler/Fiat thing produces.

Unless that thing can handle very well, I dont see many reasons worth buying, besides Cheap, and small parking spaces...

What other reason is there to buy a Mini, or any small car for that matter :D?

The big thing will be the Abarth Esseesse vs Cooper S, and Abarth Assetto Corse vs. S Works Cooper (should we get the Assetto Corse in the U.S.).

Have you experienced any fuel problems with your Cooper? I read that there was a small percent of owners who were experiencing the fuel pump problems from the BMW M54 motor because they share the same fuel pump. However, while BMW offered to fix their nameplate cars, they're so far denying any claims Mini owners have.

Have you experienced any fuel problems with your Cooper? I read that there was a small percent of owners who were experiencing the fuel pump problems from the BMW M54 motor because they share the same fuel pump. However, while BMW offered to fix their nameplate cars, they're so far denying any claims Mini owners have.

Mine's been fine, but all the known affected (07-09) Minis have recieved a complimentary 10 year 120,000 mile warranty on the HPFP. Got a letter a few months back (end of last summer-ish)

"Hi, welcome to the US. Here's your 200lb weight penalty."

"Hi, welcome to the US. Here's your minimum mileage requirements."

I hate how the NHTSA and the EPA are pulling cars in opposite directions. The NHTSA wants every car to be a M1 Abrams and the EPA wants every car to be bicycle.

Excellent analysis lol.

I like the 500's, I haven't "interacted" with one so to speak in person, but I like what I see. I don't think I would ever buy one though, just not what I am into driving.

I will most definitely be checking out them out at the dealership though. I am a HUGE fan of the old X1/9's which is a totally different animal than what fiat is today, but I have a certain fascination with cars that were quirky back in the day and are now making a comeback to the states.

Excellent analysis lol.

I like the 500's, I haven't "interacted" with one so to speak in person, but I like what I see. I don't think I would ever buy one though, just not what I am into driving.

I will most definitely be checking out them out at the dealership though. I am a HUGE fan of the old X1/9's which is a totally different animal than what fiat is today, but I have a certain fascination with cars that were quirky back in the day and are now making a comeback to the states.

Midwest Bayless Italian Auto in Columbus has a pretty cool X1/9 track car. I would kill to drive it,

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=208227