opinions/help needed for my kitchen island

evan9381

some of you may have followed the thread when i remodeled my kitchen...well, i have 2 extra 21" base cabinets i planned on using for an island/eating area. we never really used a kitchen table, and dont have one currently, so im probably going to go with something i can put a couple bar stools under so if i have guests, they have somewhere to sit down in the kitchen

the help part im curious about, is how far do you think i could put for an overhang on the "back" side of the cabinets? they're standard depth (25.5"), and will have about 1" overhang on the front where the drawers are, and probably 1/2-1" on each side...should i be ok with up to a 12" overhang? my thinking with that is that about 67% of the weight of the stone would be supported by the cabinets, and 33% would be completely unsupported. would it look odd if i went a little bit more (14-15") and just used an expandable stainless steel pole at the edge but in the center of the overhang? my buddy in pittsburgh used one of these poles for his penninsula/island type counter, and it doesnt look horrible. obviously i dont want to be able to lean on the counter for any reason and have the whole cabinet/counter fall back

the opinion part, would it look better if i went with a straight rectangle (lets say it'll be 44" wide and ~38" tall) with slightly rounded corners, or if i did a big rounded edge for the seating area? something like this, but more rounded...this was just a quick sketch

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/0000.jpg?t=1296607599

and a picture of the kitchen right after the granite was installed

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMG_3269.jpg?1274935004

12" ususally works fine. you could do something like build a knee wall behind them to attach some of the top to (and hold the overhang), or maybe a 8" one side, and 16" the other... not sure what kind of room your working with (i can see the room above, just not all of it lol)

you could always sheath the knee wall in matching finish ply or something

theres a little bit more to the right, but not a lot...where that counter ends and you see the light switch socket, right next to that is a 32" door, then wall. on that wall just past where the door opens, i have 2 42" wall cabinets stacked ontop of each other to make a pantry...theres more pics here if it helps you picture it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79832&page=2&highlight=kitchen+remodel

if you anchor them to the floor youll be good to go.

if your concerned about possibly breaking the countertop off, then thats an issue for the top mfr.

edit: i see the nice floor...

maybe just add ballast to the bottom of the cabinets..

we have a round office table (24" center / 48" top) that must be filled with sand to keep it down

id do the straight rectangle too, so its all useable

i actually did not want to permanently set it into the floor...part of the whole kitchen remodel was to knock down that wall and open it up, so when i have family over for thanksgiving, christmas, etc, we could put a couple fold out tables end to end and be able to have a family dinner. before the wall was gone, my main level had the kitchen and living rooms, both of which were about 13x22 or so. now i pretty much have one big open area, but the living room and kitchen are still distinguishable.

but i want to be able to slide the island over to a side wall temporarily if i ever want/need to. if i set it in there and dont have the ability to move it, i pretty much eliminate one of the biggest reasons i remodeled the whole kitchen

im not worried so much about the granite breaking.

i actually did not want to permanently set it into the floor...part of the whole kitchen remodel was to knock down that wall and open it up, so when i have family over for thanksgiving, christmas, etc, we could put a couple fold out tables end to end and be able to have a family dinner. before the wall was gone, my main level had the kitchen and living rooms, both of which were about 13x22 or so. now i pretty much have one big open area, but the living room and kitchen are still distinguishable.

but i want to be able to slide the island over to a side wall temporarily if i ever want/need to. if i set it in there and dont have the ability to move it, i pretty much eliminate one of the biggest reasons i remodeled the whole kitchen

im not worried so much about the granite breaking.

I wouldn't do an overhang without fixing your cabinets to the floor

my neighbors just had an island installed. the contractor put in an electrical outlet in it because he said it was code. might want to check into it.

That an island must have electrical? Fuck that. the only way to get electrical there is to rip up the floor and try to cut my subfloor panels to get wire under them, and thats not happening.

That an island must have electrical? Fuck that. the only way to get electrical there is to rip up the floor and try to cut my subfloor panels to get wire under them, and thats not happening.

yes. like i said might want to check into it. this is the burg but on a lot of stuff they use columbus city code.

You have to have a certain amount of outlets per so many feet around a room (12' maybe?)

If its very open he might have been trying to stay within that. Not really a building code thing, as much as a NEC code. Strange request lol.

I personally wouldnt worry about it, especially if there are no knee walls permanently planted down.... its just a piece of furniture in this aspect