Chevy Diesel Guys.

dover

You want to buy an 04.5 or newer (LLY, LBZ, or one of the LM seriers motors). In 06 is when the Allison went from a 5 speed auto to a 6.

LB7 motors are prone to injector issues. They tend to leak and because the injectors are in the head, under the valve cover when they leak they leak diesel into the oil.

2004.5 and up LLY, LBZ. '02-up to '04.5 had the LB7 and was very prone to injector failure and some even injector pump failure. if the one your looking at had injectors replaced recently then it should be ok. if it hasn't had injectors replaced at all walk away.

2004.5 and up LLY, LBZ. '02-up to '04.5 had the LB7 and was very prone to injector failure and some even injector pump failure. if the one your looking at had injectors replaced recently then it should be ok. if it hasn't had injectors replaced at all walk away.

THIS. I was looking at an '02 (if i remember correctly) that was in pretty good condition and only have 100k miles or so. After i read up on the injector issue i didnt think it could be that bad but if you want a diesel shop to fix it it costs around 6 grand, this is only what i read on chevy diesel forums so take it for what its worth. Too bad too b/c i really wanted that truck.

My boss has an 03' Duramax. We traveled all throughout Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana working tractor pulls. We towed a 45' 16,000lb goose neck trailer. About 80% of the miles on the truck are from towing the trailer, think it hit 115k at the end of the season. It's still rollin coal like a fucking champ. Never struck with the fuel injector issue though.

You guys might get a kick outta this. My first time towing. This was a dsm my buddy bought. This is my boss's truck though.

http://i51.tinypic.com/219wac0.jpg

My boss has an 03' Duramax. We traveled all throughout Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana working tractor pulls. We towed a 45' 16,000lb goose neck trailer. About 80% of the miles on the truck are from towing the trailer, think it hit 115k at the end of the season. It's still rollin coal like a fucking champ. Never struck with the fuel injector issue though.

You guys might get a kick outta this. My first time towing a dsm my buddy bought. This is his truck though.

http://i51.tinypic.com/219wac0.jpg

I dont get it whats so crazy?

I dont get it whats so crazy?

Just showin a little love for the duramax chief. Point is not to necessarily single it out. Why? I used my boss's truck as an example. I know plenty of people with duramax's from 02 to 04.5 that didn't have this fuel injector issue.

Just showin a little love for the duramax chief. Point is not to necessarily single it out. Why? I used my boss's truck as an example. I know plenty of people with duramax's from 02 to 04.5 that didn't have this fuel injector issue.

My dad has an 03 with 160k. Not a single issue with anything, just regular maintenance.

We had an 02 dually that we towed our 52' trailer loaded with our Top Sportsman car, tools, golf cart and living quarters, bathroom, kitchen ect, all over the country and it was a really nice truck. My buddy still has it and is planning on towing the exact same set up with it again starting this year when his new car is finished. The truck only has like 60k on it.

What I need is an opinion on a 2005 duramax with a Allison? Any real maintenance issues or things to look out for?

This truck is a 4 wheel drive ext cab and has less 40k on the clock, and yes it has a Boss plow with it. I know the owner and the plow has not really been used on the truck. There is some surface rust on the frame of the truck, which surprises me. Is the paint on the frames that weak? Regardless, I would plan on sandblasting the underside and respray with DP90 and undercoat the sh_t of it if I purchase.

Edited by RS69

O1 is what had the injector problems, we have had every year between my family in friends and the only problems have been injector cups lifting on the lb7 pulling truck (~800whp) and we put a rod through the side of the block on a twin turbo stock motor lb7. Never a problem from any stock turbo lb7,lly,lbz,or lmm we have had, and all tuned to 500+whp. I would not be afraid of an 02-04.5 lbz.

O1 is what had the injector problems, we have had every year between my family in friends and the only problems have been injector cups lifting on the lb7 pulling truck (~800whp) and we put a rod through the side of the block on a twin turbo stock motor lb7. Never a problem from any stock turbo lb7,lly,lbz,or lmm we have had, and all tuned to 500+whp. I would not be afraid of an 02-04.5 lbz.

I'd imagine pushing 1600 ftlbs of torque would blow any stock engine when pulling a sled. But hey at least the crowd enjoyed it.